Should I buy a 4K Stream or a Roku?

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream 4K' started by UCLABB, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Apr 5, 2021 #1 of 30
    UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA

Advertisements

I need a streamer and the TiVo 4K Stream is on sale for $39. Should I buy it?

2. Apr 5, 2021 #2 of 30
    WVZR1

WVZR1 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    NEED or the $$$ interest you?

3. Apr 5, 2021 #3 of 30
    dbpaddler

dbpaddler Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    I have a preference towards android tv. But that's me. My Roku has collected dust for ages.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

mom2jel likes this.
  4. Apr 5, 2021 #4 of 30
    xberk

xberk Active Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Buy it. I paid $10 more and love my TS4K .. I have Google TV Chromecast too .. TS4K is better.

5. Apr 5, 2021 #5 of 30
    schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007

Advertisements

What do you plan to watch with it? I used Roku until last week switching to Tivo. My reason was Locast integrates with Tivo 4k. I also use Netflix and HBO max, both of which work in my shows. So for me Tivo works better.

I tried Tivo4k last summer and stopped using it because I had cable and Roku could use Xfinity app. But now I no longer have cable.

6. Apr 6, 2021 #6 of 30
    davidg716

davidg716 Member

Jan 20, 2015
    Don't buy it if you're planning to use YoutubeTV, there is currently a bug that makes it freeze.

mschnebly and fattymcbuckles like this.
  7. Apr 6, 2021 #7 of 30
    dbpaddler

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    Can't you just cast it from your phone until it's fixed?

8. Apr 6, 2021 #8 of 30
    Pokemon_Dad

Pokemon_Dad Ruler of Unown UI

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    We need more information before advising you. At minimum we need to know what apps you plan to use.

9. Apr 6, 2021 #9 of 30
    UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I have cable and plan to keep it.

I use Netflix, Hulu, Prime, Paramount+ apps on my TV, but it doesn't have HBO Max and I need that. Right now I can only cast HBO Max from my iOS devices and I really don't like that much.

One other issue. I use the Reelgood app to track what I want to watch and it does a fair job of redirecting me to the appropriate streaming app on the TV. Can I still use that with 4K Stream, or does the Stream handle that?

10. fattymcbuckles

fattymcbuckles Member

May 21, 2020
    Never thought of that idea. May have to try it.

11. Pokemon_Dad

Pokemon_Dad Ruler of Unown UI

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Well OK, they both have HBO Max, but Reelgood offers an Android TV app that will work on the TS4K and does not offer a Roku app, so that may be your deciding factor. I would normally get into a discussion of how Roku is the more stable mature platform while the TS4K is a work in progress, but if Roku can't do what you want then that's that. (I chose Fire TV over Roku myself for a similar reason: there is no Channels DVR app for Roku.)

12. dbpaddler

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    Yeah, I remember a bunch talking about using Reelgood with the TS4k when they didn't want to use the Stream app.

13. dbpaddler

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    Figure that's better than panning the device because of a temporary glitch.

fattymcbuckles likes this.
  14. fattymcbuckles

fattymcbuckles Member

May 21, 2020
    I agree. It’s been a pretty decent streaming device for the most part,especially after I de- tivoed it. Eventually they’ll push an update to fix YouTube TV . In the meantime,I have other options I can use for YouTube tv.

dbpaddler likes this.
  15. scottchez

scottchez Active Member

Dec 1, 2003
    I would check out the FireTV with the brand new GUI. it also support viewer profiles.
    The TIVO Stream is better but right now way too many bugs. HBO and Youtub TV and it locks up.
    Plus most wont de Tivo it as they dont know how or just dont want to.

The TIVO Stream would be the best on the market soon, bug fixes a coming. Then I hope they dont break it gain.

16. dbpaddler

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    HBO Max works pretty well for me. Been watching Raised by Wolves over the past few weeks. And just watched the Snyder cut of Justice League as well as some of the DC series stuff.

17. crackers8199

crackers8199 New Member

Dec 8, 2020
    temporary glitch? there have been multitudes of issues reported with the latest release and there hasn't been a single peep from tivo about it, or about when it would be fixed. it has been over a month and they refuse to even acknowledge there are any issues.

that's hardly a "temporary glitch," and it's not just youtube.

18. Foogie

Foogie New Member

Mar 23, 2021
    Actually technically it is a glitch when people say the problem with regular Youtube or YoutubeTV can be corrected by reloading the stream. Also it has been confirmed in the other threads that the YoutubeTV glitch happens on multiple different devices including the FireTV. Those people who contacted CS note YoutubeTV and TIVO support have both acknowledged the problem with YouTubeTV.

19. Eddie501

Eddie501 Member

Jun 4, 2004
    If you want something that is actually usable, I would go with the Roku. If you want something that makes you want to beat it with a hammer each time you use it, I would go with the TS4K. It's a good concept, but it has more bugs than any piece of electronics I've ever owned.

wendlan likes this.
  20. waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Several of you have said that the TiVo Stream is the best in the market. Where does it excel over other streaming devices?