Should I be ready to change tivo?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by coachO, Jul 28, 2007.

1. coachO

coachO New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    near...
    New HD channels ( Mpeg 4) are coming out really soon on D*. I cant get them on my HR10-250 which will soon really bother me. I dont want the HR20 (primarily due to the 2 year commitment and no dual buffers) and have been waiting for an alternative.

An alternative: The Tivo HD receiver for cable just came out at $299.

Sell my two HR10-250 units and buy two Tivo HDs ( might loose a few dollars) but no two year commitment so it is worth it. I dropped Sunday ticket when they charged for HD so no loss here. This way I dont have to deal with the HR20 nor D* and I stay with Tivo.

I guess I need to compare the costs, but I am sure it will be similar. Since I never seem to know all that is going on, what am I missing?

2. iaflyer

iaflyer New Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Have you included the monthly cost that you pay to Tivo? I'm not sure what it is - something on the order of $12.95 - $16.95 I think.

Also these days it seems that cable companies give a lot of incentives to getting rid of the dish, that might offset some of the loss in selling the Directv equipment or the month fees.

3. Redux

Redux No intent to annoy

Oct 19, 2004
    Certainly at $299 ($269 at CCity with the coupon) it's attractive.

But dont rule out sticking with DirecTV and the HR10-250 until you've really analyzed your needs and looked at your alternatives thoroughly.

You've got to find out what Cable offers you (or FIOS if you can get it), what you can get OTA, what the new HiDef channels are that DirecTV acually delivers, when they deliver them. Also consider alternative content sources now and in the near-term future.

4. Puppy76

Puppy76 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2004
    All I know is I wouldn't want to mess with their non-Tivo DVR :)

I'd warn you that the Series 3/HD Tivos don't have Tivo To Go yet, but I guess your current models never did.

5. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    And, don't forget that the HR10 can receive and record your local HD OTA.

6. Old Moe

Old Moe New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    And, don't forget that the Tivo HD receivers won't work with satellite TV

7. Whynot

Whynot New Member

Jul 20, 2007

WTF are you talking about?

8. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Old Moe means that the Series 3 HD Tivos cannot be used with DirecTV or Dish Network satellite equipment. The Series 3 HD Tivos can only record from their Cable TV tuners and cable company provided CableCards.

9. Whynot

Whynot New Member

Jul 20, 2007

Ooohhh thought we where talking about HR10 here since the previous post referenced it.

10. drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    You must have missed Puppy's reference to the Series 3.

11. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Not to mention that the OP alluded to it as well. :)