Should I be charged monthly fee for CableCard

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by dickdastardly, Mar 24, 2011.

1. dickdastardly

dickdastardly New Member

Mar 5, 2011

Advertisements

I got a M-type Cablecard for my new Tivo Premiere. I noticed on my most recent Comcast bill that they care charging $8 per month rental for the CableCard.

I read on some forum the first card should be supplied free, as per FCC.

What are the regulations and should I have a monthly fee (or $96 per year!!! :mad:) for this cablecard?

2. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    On my comcast I'm charged for a 'additional digital outlet' for each of my Tivos (except the first one). For me, this covers one cable card per digital outlet. It's the reality of digital cable that we're now all charged per device and that's making the cablecos a whole lot of money. So, for me:

digital service = one free digital outlet = includes one cablecard = 1st Tivo
    additional digital outlet = includes one cablecard = 2nd Tivo
    additional digital outlet = includes one cablecard = nth Tivo

I have found comcast to be completely incompetent regarding billing, so it's possible they've screwed up your bill charging you for cablecards that should be part of digital outlets -- or it's possible it's just written up differently than mine. Unfortunately, you usually have to work your way a level or two up in supervisors to get someone who can fix things.

My bill is *STILL* screwed up and I'm paying for a 'second cablecard for multi-cablecard device' for a Tivo premiere (I'd really like a tech to come out and show me where that Premiere's second card slot is. educate me, please). I'll confess they managed to wear me down to the point where I'm eating a $1.95/mo fee rather than spend more hours on the phone trying to get the billing fixed.

I'd honestly sh*tcan comcast if I could. There's just a few things I can't get via OTA or netflix. Worst company ever.

3. darock159

darock159 New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    your 1st card should be free. after that it is $1.50 for each extra card. That is how it is on mine. :)

4. jjd_87

jjd_87 Member

Jan 31, 2011
    WV
    Mine is $1.50 a month (Suddenlink) but we also have one of their DVRs and several DTAs that they aren't charging us for so I'll give them 1.50 a month, but 8 bucks is way too high!

5. Distalgia

Distalgia New Member

Mar 21, 2011

Advertisements

I just got my Premier and Charter is charging me $2 a month for the cable card.

6. MrSkippy53

MrSkippy53 New Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Not sure if this was just for my area (Denver) or all. Effective Jan 2011 Comcast changed their billing structure. On my Jan bill the last few pages had all of the different fees (not just what they are charging you).

Does your bill say "additional cablecard" or "additional outlet" to the left of the $8.00?

Do you have just a TiVo and NO other boxes in your house?

When I got my S4 (premiere) I already had a STD Moto box. My next bill had $1.50 additional cable card. On a TiVo S4 they use one M-card but since TiVo S4 is dual tuner they consider the second tuner as a additional cablecard. This is clearly shown in my Jan 2011 bill. First cable card (or tuner for S4) was free.

So my bill has a additional cable card charge of $1.50 and additional outlet charge of $8.00 (the Moto box).

I am wondering i they added an additional outlet charge instead of additional cable card charge to your bill....

Unlike you I got lucky. A month later I had them come out and install cards in my S3. They did not have Scards so he used 2 Mcards (S3 has a slot of each tuner).

I told him that's fine as long as I only see a n added $1.50 to my bill. He said he would fix my billing so it would be right. Also the s3 would me my 3rd outlet so I was expecting another $8 charge.

Got my next bill and he fixed it alright. No $8 adder for 3rd outlet. And no $1.50 adders for the S3 cards... Knock on wood..

7. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    If you have a "package" that includes a comcast box, that you do not use since you have a TiVo, then there should be no charge. I have been talking with Comcast for 6 months to address, apparently very few CSRs, and even fewer escallated call handlers, know how to set them up properly. I keep getting credits applied to make it right, but they have yet to have their system bill me correctly.

8. ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    x2...Denver area. I think cable card charges are federally regulated to max $2/month. Or at least they were.

9. amark

amark New Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Yes

10. mtims

mtims Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Is there a FCC law that first one is free?

11. Davelnlr_

Davelnlr_ N5GGG

Jan 12, 2011
    North...
    They dont charge me for a cablecard at all, but on my bill my Tivo is charged $7.50 HD access fee, and my Comcast supplied HD Cablebox (non-dvr) is charged another $7.50 HD access fee. My Transport adapter is not charged anything. I really think I am paying twice for HD access, but just assumed the cablebox rental was $7.50, and they consider that the "First" outlet, then charge me $7.50 for the Tivo.

Problem with Xfinity, is it seems they have a different charge in every city, so its almost impossible to get a straight answer.

12. Joey P

Joey P New Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Milwaukee, WI
    I've never heard that before, I wonder if they were thinking of the tuning adapter. I know I don't pay for that, and I was extremely surprised when I found out that TWC was giving those out (or rather renting them for free) back when they went to SDV. I wouldn't be surprised if the FCC mandated that back when they cable companies went over to SDV and tried to use that to get people to switch over to their DVR/STB's so they could get all the channels they were paying for.
    It reminded of back when TWC used to tell people that CC weren't compatible with TiVos.

13. danjw1

danjw1 Member

Sep 13, 2005
  14. bustersdad0762

bustersdad0762 New Member

Mar 27, 2011
    Cablevision of Connecticut charges $2.00/month for a cable card. A box is $6.95/month so I guess it's OK.

15. magnum68

magnum68 New Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Pembroke...
    Wow, I just noticed today that Comcast was charging me for two cablecards since Aug 2010. I have 2 premieres with a cablecard each. I was chatting online with them and gave that same link you posted and they agreed that they made a mistake and are going to adjust it. The adjustment will show up on my next bill. They are really sneaky cause they said that the first cable card was not free. I proved them wrong.

16. Davelnlr_

Davelnlr_ N5GGG

Jan 12, 2011
    North...
    I just fired off a letter to Comcast to request clarification.
    On my bill, my Tivo with M-card on the primary outlet is charged a $7.50 HDTV Service charge, and my Xfinity supplied HD cablebox (non-DVR) is also charged a $7.50 HDTV Service charge. In my thinking, which might be wrong, you should only have to pay for HDTV access once per account like all the other providers. Will see what they say. Worst case, I have to keep paying the additional $7.50. Best case, they owe me $15 back, and save me $7.50 a month.

Update: They told me the first $7.50 was for HD access and the second $7.50 was a rental fee for their HD cable box.

17. sterlinggold

sterlinggold New Member

Mar 19, 2010
    For my FIOS its 3.99$ each. First one is not free.

18. dickdastardly

dickdastardly New Member

Mar 5, 2011
    I got it cleared up. But it took a long time.

Initially I was told the $8 fee was an M-Card. I was told wrong information. I called and back. The second Comcast representative said the $8 fee was a supplemental fee for my second HD cable box. Something seemed fishy so I asked for the web page listing HD technology fees. She could not provide it. I called a THIRD time using the online CHAT analyst and was told that they erroneously had me charged for a nonexistant third box in my unit. She cleared off the charges. OMG how much I had go through to get this cleared up!

BTW that link listed here by danjw1 for Comcast stating Cable card fees was very helpful.

19. dickdastardly

dickdastardly New Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Oh and finally they charge $1.50 for the M-Card per month.

20. chrispitude

chrispitude New Member

Apr 23, 2005
    With Blue Ridge Cable TV in Pennsylvania, I am charged $4 for the first HD converter box OR cable card. Each additional card after that is $5.