Shortcut to Subtitles?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by slimjim867, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Feb 4, 2012 #1 of 14
    slimjim867

slimjim867 Member

Sep 20, 2005
    sometimes we just cannot understand a word in a recording. drilling into the menu to set subtitling for an entire program is no big deal. but for a word here or there it is not convenient. is there a shortcut to enabling subtitles? if not, can I configure one?

2. Feb 4, 2012 #2 of 14
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    On the Premiere, or series 3 even, its on the info bar (press INFO), press down from directionals 3-5 times then select. During a recording, its 3 downs, Live TV, its 5 downs.

3. Feb 4, 2012 #3 of 14
    slimjim867

slimjim867 Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Worked like a charm.
    Thank you!

4. Feb 4, 2012 #4 of 14
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    teeny-tiny nit, just as an FYI: They are captions, not subtitles.

Which doesn't affect the speed or helpfulness of ThAbtO's reply.:up:

5. Feb 5, 2012 #5 of 14
    Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    A good clarification to make this is an important distinction technically. Subtitles and Captions (and those that are Closed) work quite differently.

6. Feb 5, 2012 #6 of 14
    PedjaR

PedjaR Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Cary, NC
    It would be really nice to have a one-button-press toggle for captions. The way you mentioned is the best available, as far as I know, and it works not too bad, but is not nearly as nice as a one-button-toggle would be. The main issue is that it is not consistent - depending on whether it is a live show or a recording, HDUI or SDUI, and the software version, number of times to hit arrow down varies from 1 to 5. Makes it impossible to create a remote macro that does not fail.

7. Feb 5, 2012 #7 of 14
    Innerloop

Innerloop New Member

Sep 10, 2000
    Marin...
    Absolutely they should setup one of the "Color" buttons to toggle Captions on/off while viewing content.

8. Feb 5, 2012 #8 of 14
    xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Agreed. I use the captions all the time. Getting old. Need the help. One button would be very useful to me.

9. Feb 5, 2012 #9 of 14
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    The shame is, a one-button command exists within the TiVo. So using one of the color buttons (great idea, IL!) is just a matter of one, little-bitty programming tweak to the remote. We can hope!

Here's a shot of wmcbrine's tivoremote app, showing/using the one-button CC command:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• tivo.jpg
      tivo.jpg
      File size:
      30.7 KB
      Views:
  10. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    just got a premier and a premier elite after S1's, S2's, and S3's. I was hoping that there was a point to the 4 colored buttons but it seems they haven't bothered really doing much at all with them. The one place i see to use them is the my shows list but they dont do anything the #1 and #2 haven't done for years...

11. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I'm mostly just being Devil's Advocate.. But some of you say you use CC "all the time". Do you really mean you turn it on/off all the time, or you use it all the time? (Not astrohip, I know you use it all the time.)

If you really have it on all the time, why do you care how hard it is to toggle?

I admit, I probably would appreciate a slightly easier way to toggle it, but I just leave it on most of the time. (One case where I should turn it off is for What Would You Do, since they have "open caption" type labels at the bottom that CC often covers up.. I dub the show, like most news/reality/infotainment shows to my other recorder to then watch faster than realtime.. but then leave CC on so I have to rewind less often if I miss a word.)

12. Innerloop

Innerloop New Member

Sep 10, 2000
    Marin...
    I use it quite a lot WHEN IT WORKS. The main reason for turning it off is channels where the CC data is corrupted (via Comcast? Or Tivo? Who knows) or shows where it is seemingly being entered "live" and lags behind the on-screen dialog by annoying amount.

For some reason, certain channels on our Comcast feed routinely have hosed captions - partial, missing, corrupted, sometimes even popping up spanish for a partial line instead of English. Very annoying.

13. bbrown9

bbrown9 Active Member TCF Club

Mar 12, 2011
    I turn them on and off all the time. One of the things that bugged the heck out of with the Comcast box we used to have (before we went back to TiVo and then switched to FIOS) You couldn't turn captions on and off without powerccycling the stupid thing!

I like captions for most shows except live ones (it's too distracting when the captions lag behind or are incomplete). My husband cant stand them. He always turns them off and I always turn them back on.

14. mblloyd

mblloyd Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Mercer...
    Innerloop::
    Your problems with ccaptions sure sound like you haven't turned off "digital" captions yet.