SHO/dexter lips out of synch with sound

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by newsposter, Sep 26, 2007.

1. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    never saw this except on old godzilla movies. But clearly on the HD channel the lips were off with the voices. I've never seen this on any channel or show before.

what happened?

2. kdonnel

kdonnel DVC-BCV

Nov 28, 2000
    Metro...
    It happens a lot because HD channels still do not get the attention from the network engineers that the SD channels get.

I saw it most recently on Last Holiday also on SHO.

As soon as Neilson gets to the point it can tell the advertisers how many people are watching the HD version the stations will know how much revenue they are generating and will hopefully pay more attention to the HD side of things.

3. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    while i dont watch a lot of HD sho/hbo it's the first time i've ever seen it. I'm more used to the poorer PQ than OTA and expect that, sure. I've seen all the star wars movies on hbo hd and all those were perfect as always has been big love

And i'm assuming from what you are saying that audio and video get transmitted separately and at different rates? (can you tell i know zip about tv)

4. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    It's not that they get transmitted at different rates but that they take different paths through the circuitry. It's often a problem if you're using HDMI as your video connection and the newer HDMI spec even includes control for audio sync delay. Some audio receivers, including mine, allow you to adjust the audio delay so that they are in sync again.

5. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    That's true in a sense, but the reason for that is monitoring video is easy (you can watch a wall of monitors and spot a problem, if you're looking) while monitoring audio is hard (you have to select them one at a time, or it's basically cacophony. That means proactive interaction rather than passive monitoring, which is a little bit too much like work for operators already stretched thin.)

I think what will really make the difference is analog cutoff. At that point, engineers and Master Control ops can concentrate on just the HD signal and won't have their attention divided by the SD signal, which is the only signal TV stations generate revenue from as of yet.

Neilsen has begun to count the viewers, but they are relatively few, even with 30-40 million homes with HD sets, so that has not reached critical mass yet. The business model today (and until cutoff) for local TV is to sell time on the SD signal, period. No one actually sells time on the HD signal yet, surprising as that might sound. There is just no way to add that infrastructure yet, and since everyone always takes the path of least resistance, most stations will just shift the existing business infrastructure to the HD stream once the SD stream goes dark. So again, cutoff is the key.

6. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    SHO-HD, at least the one provided by DirecTV, has had intermittent lip-sync issues since day one, at least since I started watching it.

There has been times I've recorded back to back programs and one had lip-sync,
    the other was synced up just fine.

It'll be fine for weeks, then horrible for a couple days, then back to fine.

Knocking on wood that the new season of Dexter falls into the fine periods.

phox

7. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    Hmmm.

That's something to look out for on the FREE PREVIEW that began this morning (of course other than a showing of "Aeon Flux" I don't see anything of value...these free previews seem to both satisfy any curiosity and also simply revalidate my decision NOT to subscribe). It sounds like SHOHD engineers either don't monitor playback audio often enough, or don't QC the product well enough when it comes in the door. It's unlikely that DTV contributes to the problem, but not impossible. I'd certainly complain to them first.

8. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    geez is this a virus. Now i saw the problem on journeyman on nbc. After having HDtivo almost 2 years this is the 1st time i ever remember this kind of problem at all. I'm used to them not 'throwing the switch' on nbc all the time but the lip thing is annoying.