Shiny new Bolt about to go back home

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by mcevoys, Oct 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Oct 5, 2017 #1 of 27
    mcevoys

mcevoys New Member

Jun 17, 2005

Advertisements

(3) Premieres in the house...since 2010. 2 are ethernet, 1 is wifi (old G adapter)

Replacing one of the premieres with a new bolt.

Premieres can all see each other/transfer shows between each other
    Premieres can all see the bolt/transfer shows from the bolt

Bolt has no "devices" section...cannot see any of the Premieres.

Connected all to service, rebooted all, rebooted all network devices...no change.

So far, we're 3 support calls and 90 minutes in. One of the worst support experiences I've ever had.

2. Oct 5, 2017 #2 of 27
    sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    How is the Bolt connected, WiFi or ethernet?

What version of the TiVo OS is running on the Bolt?

3. Oct 5, 2017 #3 of 27
    mcevoys

mcevoys New Member

Jun 17, 2005
    Bolt is wifi. 802.11AC network. ~65% signal strength. Speed test to/from the device far exceeds my internet connection.

Software is 20.7.2.RC24-USC-11-849.

56 minutes with support (this round). Not a happy Tivo user. Been running since the Sony Series 1 (1999) and thinking I'm about done

4. Oct 5, 2017 #4 of 27
    mcevoys

mcevoys New Member

Jun 17, 2005
    1 hour 15 minutes into a useless support call.

Pulled the bolt out of that room, brought it to another, connected Ethernet...no change

5. Oct 5, 2017 #5 of 27
    scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...

Advertisements

How long have you had the Bolt set up and running?

6. Oct 5, 2017 #6 of 27
    mcevoys

mcevoys New Member

Jun 17, 2005
    26 hours

7. Oct 5, 2017 #7 of 27
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If it has the correct MAK, it's on your account, then it should work. Send it back. Life is too short to mess with this problem. At least with a new unit you will get a second opinion.

8. Oct 5, 2017 #8 of 27
    mcevoys

mcevoys New Member

Jun 17, 2005
    Over 2 hours 30 minutes of phone time so far...nothing.

9. Oct 5, 2017 #9 of 27
    mcevoys

mcevoys New Member

Jun 17, 2005
    It on the account...the premieres can see the bolt.

A new one changes nothing. It's not a hardware issue. I think a shipping label and a refund is the next step (as well as an executive escalation over the abysmal support)

10. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Have you tried connecting to ethernet and rebooting? Just for diagnosis (not permanent config), either string a longish ethernet cable or move the Bolt to a location with ethernet. Sometimes broadcast packets (annoucing presence of device) get restricted in one direction but not the other.

11. tymbo

tymbo Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Are all TiVos connected to the same network? My house, for example, has a modem for hard wiring as well as a router for WiFi. They have different network names, so I have to be cautious that I’m connecting to same-named network.

12. mcevoys

mcevoys New Member

Jun 17, 2005
    Yes...now ethernet connected with no change. All are on the same network (premieres can see the bolt and transfer from the bolt).

I design and build corporate networks for a living. Got that part covered.

Bolt has no "devices" menu, and none of the other Tivos show up in "my shows".

Over 3 hours of phone time.

13. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    It is strange that the Bolt never sees the broadcast packets from the Premieres. If it saw the packets, even once, it should show up, grayed out, if the TiVo is not reachable. You aren't seeing anything, so that means the broadcast packet has never reached the Bolt. Do you have any advanced managed switches where IGMP snooping might be enabled? That has been known to cause issues in the past.

14. mcevoys

mcevoys New Member

Jun 17, 2005
    They're advance managed switches, but IGMP snooping is not enabled. They're in bridge mode.

The other 3 tivos have no issues. They've been in place since 2010.
    The other 3 tivos see the bolt with no issues.

15. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Can you run packet dumps to see if the broadcast announcement packets are being sent by the Premieres to the switch the Bolt is connected to (possibly add a hub if needed to capture packets)? Hub shouldn't be needed because they are broadcast, but might capture the directed packets for better understanding what is going on.

You should see some "TiVoConnect Discovery Protocol"/"TiVoConn Discovery Beacon" UDP packets broadcasting. It should be port 2190.

On Wireshark I can enter the following filter "(udp.port == 2190)"

You should see at least one packet from each TiVo on your network reaching the switch the Bolt is connected to.

If you are statically assigning IP info, could you also verify all the netmasks are appropriate and there are no typos?

Have you tried running kmttg on a PC connected to the same switch as Bolt and see if it can see the Premieres?

With PC connected to Bolt switch can you verify you can see the Now Playing List on each TiVo
    https:// [tivo ip address]
    user: tivo
    pass: [your tivo MAK]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  16. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Look under System Information screen (for v20.7.2, its under Settings, Help) for the line "TivoToGo:" and what does it say?

Force a few Tivo Connections (Settings, Network).

I think the Bolt didn't get the permissions yet for the other Tivos.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  17. mcevoys

mcevoys New Member

Jun 17, 2005
    @sfhub: It's 100% DHCP. All Subnet masks and DNS are the same. Packet capture...really? How does the average homeowner make this work? The premieres all work 100% what changed with the Bolt?

18. mcevoys

mcevoys New Member

Jun 17, 2005
    @ThAbtO : TivoToGo is a, a, a, a

Other tivos are a,a,a,a (no space) weird

19. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Force Tivo connections on all of your Tivos, I think the permissions didn't get to the Bolt about the Premieres, and vice versa.

20. mcevoys

mcevoys New Member

Jun 17, 2005
    @ThAbtO..they've all been forced and rebooted. Multiple times.