1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp Objects (HBO Limited Series) *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DevdogAZ, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Jul 17, 2018 #1 of 112
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Surprised there isn't a thread on this yet. I just listened to the audiobook of Sharp Objects on my roadtrip Sunday and then watched the first episode of this show last night. Will get to the second episode in the next day or two.

Having just read (listened to) the book, I was kind of surprised at how painfully faithful the adaptation seemed to be, but then I saw that Gillian Flynn wrote the TV adaptation, so that makes sense.

I'm not sure I like the directing style of the show with the surreal flashbacks and things. I understand that the book is written in a first-person style and the narrator is keeping a lot of secrets, so figuring out a way to convey all that information to the TV viewer is difficult. But at least in the first episode, it just felt like it made everything seem unnecessarily plodding.

Interested to hear what others think so far.

2. Jul 17, 2018 #2 of 112
    zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    I was going to season pass this since I like Amy Adams but all the reviews just said don't bother.

3. Jul 17, 2018 #3 of 112
    Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    I'm enjoying the Limited Series (and Amy Adams)

4. Jul 17, 2018 #4 of 112
    mooseAndSquirrel

mooseAndSquirrel Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Whatsamatta U
    I read the book, but forget what happened. I like Amy Adams. I made it through one and a half of these and just decided no, not for me.

5. Jul 17, 2018 #5 of 112
    series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    This. The accuracy and logic are sloppy, but I’m sure the director and critics will use artistic elitism to justify it as being deep. The geography and sequence of the shots of her driving out of St. Louis made absolutely no sense.

6. Jul 17, 2018 #6 of 112
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I didn't read the book, but otherwise this. It was just tedious to watch for me...even with Amy Adams.

(When I watched Episode 2, it was the last thing I had to watch. So at that point, my decision was watch this or not watch TV at all, and I chose to not watch TV at all. Which for me is pretty remarkable! :D)

7thton likes this.
  7. Jul 17, 2018 #7 of 112
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I also gave up halfway thru this week's E2. I found E1 not only boring, but painful to watch. The flashbacks, the way they jumped characters (young Amy vs regular Amy) right in the middle of a scene, the jarring cinematography... there was nothing fun about this show. And I love Amy Adams. Enough that I forced myself thru E1, and gave E2 a fair try. But it was even worse.

I knew there was no way it was going to get better, so I quit watching.

mooseAndSquirrel likes this.
  8. Jul 17, 2018 #8 of 112
    smak

smak TV MA SLV

Feb 11, 2000
    NoHo, CA USA
    The Rotten Tomatoes review roundup says 80 positive, 7 not positive, so...??

-smak-

9. Jul 17, 2018 #9 of 112
    series5orpremier

Jul 5, 2013
    And what’s a Kansas City municipal detective doing over 400 miles from home in the bootheel? That’s totally absurd - jurisdictions just don’t operate that way. I could see maybe a state trooper detective or a Fed helping out, but....

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  10. Jul 17, 2018 #10 of 112
    DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    In the book, the town basically has just the one police officer, so the detective was sent from KC to help with the case. But I don't think it ever said he was a KC municipal cop. Just that he was from KC. So it's possible he is a state trooper that was stationed in KC.

11. Jul 17, 2018 #11 of 112
    getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    I've liked it so far.

Unfortunately, like a lot of shows these days (like Big Little Lies), you won't really know if it has been worth sitting through the whole story until the end. The reviews I've read from critics who have seen most of the episodes say it's excellent.

Something about it makes me think of The Sinner from last year, with the strained relationship between the distant mother and the rebellious daughter. Plus, there's the dead younger sister who seems to have died under mysterious circumstances.

They did a great job casting the younger version of Amy Adams.

It's funny. When I watched IT last year, I was trying to think of actors who would be well-suited to play the older versions of the characters. There's a scene where Beverly is asking the pharmacist a bunch of questions to keep him distracted and he calls her Lois Lane. At that moment, I realized that Amy Adams would be perfect to play the older Beverly (even though I don't really like her as Lois Lane). It looks like the producers of IT went with Jessica Chastain instead, but it's nice to see someone realized how much Sophia Lillis looks like a young Amy Adams.

12. Jul 17, 2018 #12 of 112
    gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    I'm done after E2. I don't mind a slow burn, but this is more like a seared molasses.

13. Jul 17, 2018 #13 of 112
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I liked Big Little Lies from the start. Great story, drew you in, the characters were interesting to watch, regardless of whether the plot was moving. IOW, good TV. I never felt any need to justify to myself whether to keep watching or not, I enjoyed it.

This is nothing like that (IMHO). Boring as heck, with characters that I didn't care about, even after 90 minutes. I have no desire to get to the end to see if I should have kept watching. Earn my eyeballs, or not. And this is true of all TV, not just this show. Unlike years past when I would give a show a chance far beyond what seemed reasonable, now if I don't like it fairly quickly, SP deleted. I may miss a good one on rare occasion, but I don't waste as much time on bad ones.

14. Jul 17, 2018 #14 of 112
    tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    I was wondering how it was being perceived by folks who hadn't read the book. I find myself working to recall the book in order to make sense of the what's happening on the show. The reviews I've read have been overwhelmingly positive, which surprised me a bit. I want to love the show because I loved the book, but so far it's just a like not a love.

15. Jul 18, 2018 #15 of 112
    series5orpremier

Jul 5, 2013
    Still not likely. They’d likely come from a troop headquarters responsible for that region and primarily report to their own HQ rather than the town sheriff. Maybe he’s a private detective temporarily hired by the town. I doubt it will ever be clarified. So far the writing and directing seems lazy and ignorant to me.

I havn’t read the book but have seen a few Cliffs Notes spoilers of it.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  16. Jul 18, 2018 #16 of 112
    Howie

Howie Out of Pocket TCF Club

May 3, 2004
    San Antonio
    I like shows about drunks, so I'm all in.

Tony_T likes this.
  17. Jul 18, 2018 #17 of 112
    Johnny Dancing

Johnny Dancing Closet Rebel

Sep 3, 2000
    Detroit
    I read the book after I read Gone Girl a while back. Don't remember a thing about it but I see I gave it 4 stars on goodreads so will need to give this a shot. But you people don't give me much hope. Sounds a bit artsy and highbrow, but generally I like that instead of shows lowbrow shlock like NCIS or Everybody Loves Raymond. Maybe I'll like it...

Struggling through Season 2 of Goliath now.

18. Jul 18, 2018 #18 of 112
    tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    It's artsy, but I wouldn't say highbrow.

19. Jul 18, 2018 #19 of 112
    DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    After watching Episode 2, I'm really glad I have the book fresh in my mind. I think I'd be totally lost as to what's going on if I hadn't just read it. The abstract cuts and flashbacks are bizarre, and I think some of the stuff they're trying to convey would be totally lost on most viewers.

20. Jul 18, 2018 #20 of 112
    robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I didn't read the book, I think it's obvious that they're trying to convey that some sort of emotional abuse occurred in her childhood, then continuously hammer the viewer with images of her past memories/trauma. I am usually fine with shows like this with lots cuts in it to tell multiple stories at once, just something about the execution I find it distracting rather than adding to the show. On top of that I am asking myself constantly why the hell isn't she in a hotel or something. She was obviously fine being estranged from her family, and with all the constant hints of abuse shouldn't she be in a hotel on her publications dime? I'll watch one more, I'm not hating it, but not loving it at the same time.