shark tank 5 17 13

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by newsposter, May 23, 2013.

1. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA

Advertisements

i hope right date. it's the grilled cheese one

i love how those guys put the sharks in their place. we have over 1 mill in sales so there (insert stickout tongue smiley).

the dog food...well...i was impressed the kid knew his numbers

the dating site girl...i think the owner being available is brilliant..guys will pay for the chance to date her lol. but i sure wouldnt ever want to invest in a dating site. and what was that..1000 for 3 dates...craziness. and 100 per month i guess keeps out the riff raff..or at least the poor ones. i think we really missed a lot here due to the edit

the language thing was also pretty interesting, i had no idea mark was so diversified. i'm assuming the market for this kind of thing is pretty good so hope it does well.

2. Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    The dating thing was idiotic. Her 'secret sauce' was a three question questionairre? Really? Each member is screened by online questions? Come on. eHaromony does that, and it's hundreds of questions. And once her site gets large enough, it's trivial to find an "invite" and then it degenerates to match.com or plentyoffish or worse, craigslist. She was a moron, too.

3. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    remind me why the Grilled Cheese guys wanted the money? Was it to open up more stores?

4. mcb08

mcb08 Hoya for life!!

Mar 10, 2006
    The 6ix
    The membership referral model that the dating site used seemed similar to beautifulpeople.com. I've never used them, but they have a reality TV show that I watch.

5. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI

Advertisements

Seems to me the Grilled Cheese company got edited a little too heavily. One minute it seems like they were making jokes at the concept and they next they were giving them $600,000 :eek:

I'd say the same for the kid and his dog treats. It seemed really far fetched that the kid making these things by hand from his mom's kitchen and selling them at school functions and no stores would actually get $25,000 from a shark to start up a full business. Was that really all there was to it? Did Barbara just think the kid was cute? There really had to be more of a story here.

6. Azlen

Azlen Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    There are a few situations, like this one, where the shark makes an offer but in reality it never gets past the due diligence and the shark knows it won't when they make the offer. Most of the time it involves a kid being part of the pitch but Robert also did it with the busty soap girl from last year.

7. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Do we know that this one didnt go through?

Also, any time there is a kid, there is some BS going on, as minors do not have the legal capacity to enter into contracts.

8. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    The language business is very big.

I did like when one of the Sharks said that combining the automated and live translations might be the best idea.

9. Azlen

Azlen Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    Not officially but would be surprised if it did make it through. As DancnDude said, a kid making things in his kitchen and selling them at school functions is not a real business. Each of the sharks has a different % that makes it through due diligence. Kevin said only about a third of the people he shakes his hand with on the show actually get a deal. Barbara's stated rate is on the higher end at about 70%, so it may have happened but I still doubt it. But it makes for a good story on television when an enterprising kid gets an offer from a shark.

10. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    over the past few weeks i've noticed the sharks prejudging the 'bozos' but then they wind up fighting over them

careful editing? or do you think thats how it really goes

11. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Two big complaints from users of dating sites are from women saying that they get spammed with nonsense and then guys who say they're frustrated with being ignored because their messages are often drowned out by the spam. Slimming the pool down to those who are willing to pay $100/mo to access a database will certainly reduce the volume of messages. I wonder though, how many women are going to pay $100/mo when really they can dress half-nicely, go sit on a bench in a park, and have guys approach her all day long for nothing.

12. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I have no idea how dating sites work, but I guess I always assumed the women didn't pay anything and the guys paid. Is that not correct?

13. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    I don't know all of the dating sites, but I thought the general model is that when a paid subscription is required it applies to all sexes. Some free sites like OKCupid do have premium services you can pay for, but all users of the site can view profiles and send messages without paying any money.

14. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I think you are a lawyer and do play one on the Internet...

But minors can be employees... and they sign an employment contract. How is that not the same?

15. Squeak

Squeak Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 12, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    What type of jobs do minors work where they say an employment contract?

Hell, i have been working 20 years and am senior management and never signed an employment contract.

16. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    i'm glad i'm not a hot chick..that would annoy the heck out of me to have that constant attention

17. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    Said no hot chick, ever! Lol

18. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    i think ill have to put that to a poll someday. i cant imagine they really like every guy looking at them and drooling and etc etc etc family forum friendly deleted :eek:

19. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Well, consider this is the process that society has set up for us. Despite all of the supposed advances in feminism, women still rarely approach men. That means guys who don't approach women usually don't get many women. Women therefore have to deal with random guys pestering them regularly as a fact of life.

20. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You don't have to sign something to work at McDonald's?

I definitely signed things about NDAs..