Shark Tank 3/20/2011 *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Frylock, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Frylock

Frylock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...

Advertisements

Anyone catch what they called a "sneak preview" of this season? I am not sure what was different about this episode not just being another one from the season, but I was glad to see the show is back.

Adding Cuban to the mix was actually a nice touch. I loved the deal he made where the proposer had to accept or decline his deal immediately. Nice touch.

Also nice to see some more established companies, and more bidding going on. When only 1 does it, it's not as interesting.

This is definitely one of my favorite programs though. I wish they would do more updates. Including updates where the company just didn't go anywhere with the money. Would be more realistic!

2. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    I was happy to see the show back last night too, I really enjoy Shark Tank.

3. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Dang!!! I thought it was going to be a drama about a team of lawyers. (or at least I hoped it would be.)

4. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I should go check imdb.. who did they get rid of?? (they always had 4 right?)

I still can't get the idea of Foxworthy being a shark.

That kid education thing had me with my mouth open almost as much as the sharks.. What a scam they've got going. How the heck did they get schools (??) to pay $30K!?!?!?

5. mike_k

mike_k Registered User

Sep 20, 2005
    Mason, OH

Advertisements

I don't think schools paid the $30K - I think it was $30K for a franchise, that would then do the programs at the schools, and the franchise would continue to pay $1,000 a month for the privilege.

The collar stays was a pretty cool idea, but the guy was a moron. I think the wine guy was a moron too. He didn't seem to understand the whole IP concept at all.

6. craftassistant

craftassistant Have knife....

Oct 18, 2006
    Apex, NC
    I agree on the wine dude. I just read an article about his experience..apparently there is a 47 page contract.

I would love follow up stories as well

7. BrandonRe

BrandonRe Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Yep. I was a little surprised that he seemed to have no idea what they wanted to do. He should have jumped on that offer, with the provision that his winery would not have to pay licensing fees to the bottling subsidiary. And even if Kevin wouldn't have gone for that, he should have jumped all over the offer.

8. Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Agreed -- the wine guy was a complete moron.. turning down $600k to do whatever he wants in exchange for the patent? Inconceivable!

Also, did anyone else not remember the "flash back" to the guy who writes educational songs? I don't remember seeing that anytime previously.

9. Ment

Ment Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    It would've been stupid to invest the 600,000 into his own branding. Kinda like marketing your own beer once you've sold the packaging IP for Coor's beer thermochromic labeling. As the Sharks said, there is nothing special to his wine just the packaging.

Love Cuban as the new Shark, guy is smart and very relatable 'everyman'.

10. mike_k

mike_k Registered User

Sep 20, 2005
    Mason, OH
    How pissed off are the "suckers" who bought franchises from the dance girls going to be after hearing what the Sharks had to say? And I'm guessing that anyone considering buying a franchise will change their mind after watching this. I think the girls hurt themselves more than anything.

I'm sure that $100K is not even a drop in the bucket for Cuban, but it's really not a new or unique idea. There is a company called Webby Dance around here that does the same thing - they've been around at least 8 or 9 years.

11. Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I would say "it depends" on how profitable the franchises are. If they're all raking in the cash, so what? And if they're sucking wind, I'll bet the sisters have taken on some pretty bad debts they'd have to sue to recover.

12. craftassistant

craftassistant Have knife....

Oct 18, 2006
    Apex, NC
    I remember the Shakespeare songs? Very cool idea. Would be great homeschool program as well I bet.

13. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I got the impression, possibly wrong, that schools (or possibly child care centers?) _were_ the franchisees.

14. Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I didn't get that impression... I got the impression that the franchisees were just other stay-at-home Moms that just used the schools, etc as their location while the kids were already there.

15. Frylock

Frylock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    They had 4 before. They didn't drop anyone. They added a 5th this season. If you see them in front of the small tables, they all used to have a small table in front of them. Now Damon has slid down, and he shared a table with Cuban.

And the wine guy was the biggest moron ever. He cared more about selling HIS wine than selling the idea. He definitely did not get it.

16. LordKronos

LordKronos Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2003
    Wrong. There has always been 5 sharks. Kevin Harrington (the infomercial guy) was the one missing from this episode. From the few articles I've read, they say all 5 sharks return for season 2, so maybe they are just going to swap out sharks each episode.

As for Foxworthy being on this, I don't think ratings from season 1 were so good, and I heard talk about the show maybe being cancelled, so I'm sure it's just an attempt to boost ratings with a big name celebrity.

17. Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
  18. Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
  19. mike_k

mike_k Registered User

Sep 20, 2005
    Mason, OH
    I did, too. Thanks for the link. I'm interested in seeing his side of the story.

ETA: doh - too late.

20. mike_k

mike_k Registered User

Sep 20, 2005
    Mason, OH
    No, he doesn't. Again, what a moron. Any why would you let a 5 year old shoot and edit your "behind the scenes" video? Most moronic video ever - in so many ways.

I wonder if Indy or Bryan use any of those advanced camera techniques.