Shark Tank 10-12-12

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Turtleboy, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale

Advertisements

I'm surprised that woman went with Daymon after Lori threatened to take her offer back. Lori was willing to write a check right then and there (she did that before).

The way it usually works is that after the deals are made, each side does due diligence, negotiates the contract, and the deal often falls through. Here, if the deal fell through she could have still kept the money.

2. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Look at what my T-Mobile Phone can do! The producers are now planting ads in the pitches? Lame.

I don't blame pillowcasedress mom for going to Daymond. That was a lousy play by Lori while she was trying to think everything over. I think she made the right choice anyway. If you're selling clothes and Daymond gives you an offer, you should take it.

How do things like cold rubbery caffeinated waffles ever get to this point? I mean that one wasn't even funny bad, it was just bad.

3. inaka

inaka Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2001
    I know! I noticed that and rolled my eyes.
    Felt just as forced too as the lame way they cram ads for Skype or Subway into an episode of Pawn Stars. Completely lame.

Man, I really wanted the pillowcase lady to pit them against each other. Argh. Just politely say, "Well, you both have unique positive qualities to bring to the table, so the first one of you who is willing to take 25% equity and not 30%, I'll go with you." Then see if you get a bite, but do it nicely so you don't kill off one of the potential sharks.

That waffle idea was dumb. I eat these incredible candies called Shock-A-Lots that are essentially chocolate-covered coffee beans where a small bag is the equivalent of two cups of coffee. Better idea. Or, if you want a breakfast thing, make it a danish or something. A waffle? Who wants to heat up something, etc.

I think Lori got scammed on that spray vitamin deal. Mark Cuban was dead-on right sniffing out a scam in my book. And a buyback option for them if it really takes off? Stuuuuuupid.

4. Turtleboy

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I sometimes get frustrated with the producers. It is obviously a cast show. So they are trying to make the best show, not necessarily putting forth the best products.

On the other hand, I understand the producers get 5% of any company that goes on the show.

5. inaka

inaka Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2001

Advertisements

Yeah, you can read a bit more in this article:

Passing Up the Opportunity to Appear on ‘Shark Tank’

http://boss.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/19/passing-up-the-opportunity-to-appear-on-shark-tank/

6. omnibus

omnibus cowboy, yee-ha

Sep 25, 2001
    Lost in Wyoming
    I think she said in the hall that she was leaning toward Lori's offer until her threat to pull the offer made her go with Daymon.

7. Doggie Bear

Doggie Bear Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Pacific...
    Does anyone else feel like cheering whenever the opening credits show that Lori Greiner will be one of the Sharks, and hence no Barbara Corcoran?

More and more, I find Barbara to be nasty and condescending to more than her share of entrepreneurs, whereas Lori comes across as a genuinely decent person.

8. Turtleboy

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Yes, I like Lori too. She's cuter too.

I think giving up 5% or so might be worth going on the show. Whether you get an offer or not, the "free" advertising is tremendous.

9. Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    That t-mobile product placement was so blatant and disgusting.

Glad she went with Damon and not Lori.. she's playing too many games. Screw her.

10. MauriAnne

MauriAnne Mostly lurking

Sep 20, 2002
    NC
    I wish we'd see someone other than "Mr Wonderful" now and then. While I think he adds to the show, he can be over the top and a "Wonderful-break" occasionally would be welcome.

11. Ment

Ment Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    I like Barbara. She is a better fit for those products that need more help getting off the ground. Barbara would probably take a chance on the lady that had the specially-made spatulas.

12. Turtleboy

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I find it a bit amusing that Mark Curban is probably 10x+ more wealthy than all of the other "sharks."

If you didn't know, the show is based on an international show called Dragon's Den. It was on in Canada for years, and it starred both Kevin O'Leary and Robert Herjavec as two of the Dragons (Sharks).

Both Kevin and Robert are Canadian. I'd like to see them replaced with Americans. I'd like to see Mark Zuckerberg on there.

13. Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA

Yes, that would be good.

Oh, god, NFW! He's not a shark... he's an arrogant tool that started one business which he admits he didn't ever want to be a "business". He's not interested in starting other business, nor does have any entrepreneurial experience except for ONE business he stated in college. Entrepreneurship requires a significant amount of risk taking AND failure... Zuck has neither.

Just because he has a lot of money does not make him a shark.

14. inaka

inaka Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2001
    Wait, what? Uhh....I wouldn't.
    Zuckerberg is a d-bag and his personality is terrible for TV.

I think a perfect guy for the show would be someone like Steve Wozniak.
    Not only would he have $$$ and brains, he has a great personality and judging by his size he might have been the perfect match for a business like the online ice cream company on the last show. :D

P.S. If Mark Burnett were to ever get Trump to join the show since they both do The Apprentice, I'll instantly say "I'm out" from future episodes of Shark Tank.

15. Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    +1000!

+10000000000000000!

16. Frylock

Frylock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    Zuckerberg is not a VC though, like the other ones are. He's just a tool.

Did they put something in the Shark's coffee this week? They all seemed extra snippy with one another...

17. DavidTigerFan

DavidTigerFan No, not Detroit. TCF Club

Aug 18, 2001
    Charleston, SC
    It was the waffles!

18. Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    And the energy spray.

19. Turtleboy

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Fine, not Zuckerberg, although I think he'd make for good TV. That's what the producers want - is good TV.

If they wanted to, they could only put through people with great products that they know will get offers. But they purposely put through some crazy ones too, because it's entertaining.

I'm getting a little bored with all of the mothers who thought up things for their children.

20. Honora

Honora Member

Oct 16, 2006
    I recently saw something like that spatula on the news. It was one of those segments where they showcase new items. I can't remember the name, but it was in two sizes, and available in at least one store. But, which one I don't know.