Shameless

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dswallow, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Jan 3, 2005 #1 of 21
    dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...

Advertisements

Never before have I seen a TV show where practically every single character manages to live up to the name of the show: "Shameless".

It's hilarious. It's engrossing. Like from the first episode I was in love with it. And it only gets better.

There's 7 episodes so far, and a Christmas special. The second season starts tomorrow, and from the info on TVTome it looks like it's already committed for a third season beginning in 2006.

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/ShowMainServlet/showid-22545/

2. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    "People say that children are the future. Teach 'em well and let them lead the way. But after you've had 8 of your own you realize that's a load of bollocks. Darwin had the right idea. Just leave the little boogers to fend for themselves."

3. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Shouldn't you have posted this in the TiVo UK forum? :D

Any chance this will show up on this side of the big pond?

4. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I'm learning there's quite a few shows that are rather good which deserve to come over here; this one is pretty heavy on the accents though for American tastes to absorb it well, I think. It'd be nice to at least see it have a chance on some cable network, though.

Actually I'm beginning to think that most of the stuff I like over there is coming out of Channel 4; so a "Channel 4 US" (or maybe "E4US" to mimic the "E4" in the UK naming) would be a nice addition.

You reading this Rupert? :)

I'd bet it'd be a long time in coming though what with all the issues of negotiating rights to broadcast it here. We'd be lucky to even see DVD's.

5. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...

Advertisements

I just haven't laughed at and enjoyed a series so much as I have this one. It's so excellent. I think there's only 3 more left in season 2 for me to watch; I'm gonna miss it till season 3 begins, if there's a season 3.

6. millertivo

millertivo New Member

Nov 7, 2002
    Read about this in this weeks EW. Can't tell if the "premeire" on BBCAmerica this week is season 3 or the first US run. I think I'll give it a shot.

7. Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    The premiere is the first run in the US. It starts on Sunday, April 3 at 10/9c and moves to Thursdays starting April 7 at 10/9c.

8. Apr 5, 2005 #8 of 21
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Wish my tv had closed captioning. Half the time I have no idea what these people are saying. I'll stick around for a couple of episodes.

9. Apr 5, 2005 #9 of 21
    7thton

7thton No raindrop ever falls in the wrong place

Mar 3, 2005
    I'm a huge BBC America fan, and watched Shameless last night.

Over all, I enjoyed it. It had the pacing and energy of Trainspotting, and the characters are interesting.

There were a couple of times when I had to do an 8 second rewind to make out what they were saying, and even a couple of times when I couldn't make it out at all!

The Dad cracks me up, and the fact that they have their clothes washing machine in the kitchen is weird. And why is the neighbor girl and her boyfriend always over there? And when the one kid hurt his foot and Ian went to fetch the stuff to fix him up, did he run to the neighbor's apartment? If not, why was the neighbor girl's boyfriend sleeping nude in their apartment? :confused:

10. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Some of that becomes self-evident once you give them a little time to set up everything.

The relationship with the neighbors is one of those things you'll come to understand.

I'm glad it's finally getting aired in the US, though.

11. Neenahboy

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I'll be watching that tonight. Sounds great though.

12. Hunter Green

Hunter Green Curmudgeon

Feb 22, 2002
    People's...
    That's not that uncommon, really. I've seen several (small) houses in the US that are like that, including the one I grew up in. And I think it's even more common in the UK.

13. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    When I was growing up, we had a big wringer washing machine in the kitchen. No basement.

14. bobsbizzy

bobsbizzy New Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Washing machine / combined dryer in kitchen is common due to small houses and no laundry room. Neighbor always over there because that's how many people live in these council estates, always in "each others pockets". Ran to neighbors apartment to get first aid stuff 'cause their house, not having a mother didn't have any.

Very realistic series in these respects.

Lots of sex too!

15. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Season 3 (or "Series 3" as they say over there) started up this month in the UK, so downloads will be around if anyone cares to check it out. You can find the Bittorrent download via www.isohunt.com. It airs on Tuesdays at 10pm in the UK so we probably will see episodes appear sometime on Wednesday.

The trailer promoting this season is pretty hilarious. Moreso if you know the characters.

http://www.2150.com/files/shameless.trailer.avi

16. rainspooner

rainspooner New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Valley of...
    Anyone know when this show will be back on in the US? I loved it!

17. 7thton

7thton No raindrop ever falls in the wrong place

Mar 3, 2005
    No guess. I ordered season 2 from amazon.co.uk and downloaded season 3.

18. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Season 6 of Shameless just began airing in the UK recently. Still going pretty strong, too. :)

19. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    The Showtime version of this series premieres in January. I just saw the trailer of it after watching this week's Dexter.

Well, I really would like it to be good. It certainly could be good with the original show creator actually involved int he project. But who the f' cast William H. Macy as Frank Gallagher? A tragically bad casting choice from what I see in the trailer.

20. Neenahboy

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Wow, I posted in here five (!) years ago, and still have yet to watch a single episode. :eek:

Guess I should start.