SH type programs and 28 day rule

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by Cainam, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Cainam

Cainam Tivo Evangelist

May 25, 2004
    Chester-le-S...
    Can someone refresh my memory?

I went into the program guide, and added a new season pass for Prison Break, now that it has moved from Channel 5 to Sky One starting later this month. (Essential viewing, and frankly the only reason I am staying with Sky now the prices have gone up!).

It looks to me like it has a 'temporary' TMSID as it starts with SH, and there is no episode description. I am guessing/hoping that this will change over the next couple of weeks, and it will get a proper EP code with relevant information. So I will need to keep an eye on it to add it again.

But in the meantime...the season pass has picked up 2 episodes, one for 23/09 and one for 24/09. The TMSID for both of them is SH 8969060000, the original air date for both of them is 30/01/2006, and they are both set to "is episode: false".

I was just wondering why the 28 day rule does not apply in this case, as it is planning to record them both? I am sure that some programs I wanted in the past only recorded 1 episode of a series and not all of them because it only had a SH code and it thought the episodes were the same one.

Or maybe my memory is playing tricks on me...

Thanks!

2. mrtickle

mrtickle Active Member

Aug 26, 2001
    Birmingham, UK
    That's more or less it. But the key thing to note that the 28 day rule only applies to Episodes (and Movies). For anything with generic data (a "SH" entry) it will record all of them.

What sometimes happens (and might be the case here) is that "template" data is inserted for the 3rd week of listings (ie Tribune says "they always show programme X in this slot" well before any data is supplied to them, and they roll this out to TiVo users). Then later this is updated with the real listings when they are supplied to Tribune. Personally, I would rather have no data than template data.

Or the other thing I've seen is that the listings happen in two steps, almost as if there wasn't enough time in 1 day to enter all the new data and they had to send what they'd done to the tivo servers. Some ITV programmes regularly get generic data on the Friday update, then the proper data is filled in on the Saturday update.

Keep an eye on the listings closer to the time, particularly after the main weekend updates to see if they change.

3. Cainam

Cainam Tivo Evangelist

May 25, 2004
    Chester-le-S...
    Thanks for this.

Out of interest, do you know what would happen if a listing had a SH entry, and yet had IsEpisode set to True?

I wonder if it would then not record every showing, it would only record the first one and the 28-day rule would apply.

That is the only think I can think of that messed me up in the past!

4. mrtickle

mrtickle Active Member

Aug 26, 2001
    Birmingham, UK
    Quite possibly, very rare though. I think I've seen it only once or twice in the last 4 years!

5. Cainam

Cainam Tivo Evangelist

May 25, 2004
    Chester-le-S...
    Great, thanks :up:

6. mrtickle

mrtickle Active Member

Aug 26, 2001
    Birmingham, UK
    No probs :)