SF Bay Area: KTVU being mapped to 2.2

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by tonyquan, Dec 21, 2006.

1. tonyquan

tonyquan Member

Feb 26, 2003

Advertisements

Surprised no one has mentioned this, but it appears that for the last couple of days KTVU-DT (digital Fox in the San Francisco Bay Area) has been mapped to channel 2.2 on DirecTV hardware instead of the correct 2.1. This affects both the HR10 and HR20 as indicated by folks in the Yahoo! group for SF HDTV, not sure if it's a more general issue that extends beyond DirecTV units to other OTA HD receivers.

I believe videojanitor on this board works for KTVU, I've PMed him to see if he has an idea what the problem might be.

2. tonyquan

tonyquan Member

Feb 26, 2003
  3. videojanitor

videojanitor Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Nope, I don't work there, but I know some people who do. I will send out a query and see if they are aware of this.

4. gcrow

gcrow New Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Thanks, guys. I suddenly stopped getting Channel 2.1 and was about to dig into the hardware to see what happened. I just added 2.2 to my Favorites and there it is! Sure glad I checked here first.

5. Cody21

Cody21 New Member

Jan 11, 2004
    El Cerrito, Ca

Advertisements

Ditto ... I was a bit annoyed that I couldn't seem to get OTA HD FOX last night -- figuring some sort of fluke.. I'll add 2.2 to my FAVs ... Thanks guys ....

6. tivoboy

tivoboy Member

Jan 14, 2002
    SFO
    same here, nothing on 2-1
    anyone?

7. videojanitor

videojanitor Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Interesting. I was told it was fixed ...

8. pdawg17

pdawg17 Here's Julia!!

Mar 1, 2003
    Nothing here either...

9. g-man

g-man New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Redwood...
    Thanks for the post. I thought something happened to my antenna. Still not getting 2-1...no Justice tonight. :(

10. cassos

cassos New Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Same here, I am officially moving me season passes from 2.1 to 2.2
    for 10 o'clock news, mad tv, 24...

11. bpdp379

bpdp379 A trp, 1/17 CAV

Feb 25, 2004
    Livermore, CA
    Anyone know when this might be fixed?

12. Fish Man

Fish Man Phish Food

Mar 4, 2002
    0.7 miles...
    Several of the New Orleans locals are mapped incorrectly too.

They are mapped to outright incorrect on-air frequencies.

Must be a pretty widespread thing.

I started a thread about the New Orleans mis-mappings Here.

13. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    Well, if you think about it, Tribune is pretty much clerical keystroke-input work, and it is the holidays, so maybe some rookies are fat-fingering things.

14. Fish Man

Fish Man Phish Food

Mar 4, 2002
    0.7 miles...
    Irony:

Three of my local HD channels are mapping to the wrong frequency.

Two of them are owned by Tribune! :rolleyes:

They've hosed themselves!

However, the errors do look like typos:

For example: WVUE, FOX 8.1 is mapped to channel "9". It's supposed to be "29".

Anyone know an email address for someone who might be in a position to correct this?

I can't imagine a DirecTV CSR being able to comprehend this problem, and even if they could, being empowered to get a report up the chain to Tribune.

15. Markman07

Markman07 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 18, 2001
    Minnesota
    Same thing happened to my local fox station here in SE Minnesota.

16. jhimmel

jhimmel Member

Dec 27, 2002
  17. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
  18. Fish Man

Fish Man Phish Food

Mar 4, 2002
    0.7 miles...
    But it's not.

Manually scanning for the channel shows psip data to be correct.

There are currently widespread errors in the channel mapping in the satellite stream (from which DirecTV receivers that support terrestrial ATSC reception derive their mapping).

So, the default mapping from the satellite is wrong, the situation can be partially corrected via a manual scan.

If it were a PSIP error, then suddenly dozens of channels across the US suddenly had a PSIP error that affected only DirecTV receivers. Not bloody likely...

19. taterheart

taterheart New Member

Mar 12, 2006
    Seems to me that it's a Directv problem. The guide and channel mapping information is probably stored in some database. You don't have to "scan for locals" most of the time, because all the information in the guide shows up when you put your locality into the HR10. As an experiment, I changed my locality to Maryland. I didn't scan for any local channels, but all of the Maryland local channels showed up in the guide. I then changed back to Portland, OR, and the Portland locals came back. By the way, after each of these changes, the HR10 had to download the program information from satellite. Scanning for locals only picks up stations that are not already in the database. For example, in Portland right now, 12-1 is incorrectly mapped to frequency 12, instead of the correct value of 30. When I do a scan channels, I get a second 12-1 which is correctly mapped to 30, except there is no program info.

20. Fish Man

Fish Man Phish Food

Mar 4, 2002
    0.7 miles...