Several questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by dnorth12, Nov 6, 2020.

1. dnorth12

dnorth12 Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Mesquite Nevada

Advertisements

Keep in mind that I just recently returned to using my bolts after a year. So I have forgotten these things. Need a little refresher.

I am completely wifi here. No ethernet cable.

Frequently I will see "entering standby" when turning on the TV. This applies to either of the two bolts that I have. Power settings for both is set to off. What gives here?

I seem to remember years ago that you could just select a recording on the remote box and either play the recording or transfer to the box that you were watching. Is the only way to transfer recordings via TiVo Online?

Sometimes buffering occurs and other times it doesn't. Is buffering supposed to be happening on all tuners or just the one you are watching.

Thanks for any info.

2. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Watching telly, drinking wine - Lily Allen

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    What type of remote do you use for the TiVo? Entering Standby, when the power-save setting is set to "off", means something's sending it the PowerToggle IR code - often a problem with mis-configured Harmony remotes when they lose their state tracking.

Transferring from the TiVo directly is not part of Hydra (21.x OS) like it was in the old 20 OS. Transfers are now only initiated from TiVo Online. The preferred method is to stream directly from the source box to your destination - and streams no longer stop when you page around the menus like before.

Buffering of 30 minutes occurs on all tuners at all times, unless the tuner is actively recording, in which case the tuner will use the recording as it's buffer, allowing more than 30 minutes of rewind.

krkaufman likes this.
  3. dnorth12

dnorth12 Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Mesquite Nevada
    You are correct. I am using a Harmony Elite. The power settings were not set correctly. They are now. I had to call Harmony to get it sorted out. While I was on there I got them to add an "enter" button that has been missing from the button list, but would show up under the command settings in the power section.

I am getting 3 tuners to buffer the 30 minutes at the moment. Will have to double check that later as I had to reboot the Bolts to test the enter button. So buffer is rebuilding at the moment.

Too bad on the transfer, but it is what it is.

Thanks for the feedback.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

The "years ago" way of transferring is still available, just not on a box running the new TE4 (aka Hydra) UI. The box would need to be "downgraded" from TE4 to TE3 to restore this capability -- but at the expense of all current recordings and settings, as the downgrade performs a factory reset.

p.s. A somewhat dated comparison of TE4 and TE3 can be found >here<.

6. dnorth12

dnorth12 Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Mesquite Nevada
    Not sure I understand the comment, but yes I am fully up and running. I was just trying to clear up some of my doubts/questions.

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Understood. It's just that the network connection type used for the TiVo setup can matter in understanding/troubleshooting issues. You have a wired network connection for your TiVo BOLTs (wired via coax/MoCA), rather than wireless/Wi-Fi. (It's not really relevant to your current questions, though I was initially thrown-off by the "buffering" topic, which appear to have been most helpfully and thoroughly answered by @lhvetinari.)