Several Questions Regarding Moving a Hard Drive Between TiVo's

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Steve in VA, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Aug 6, 2011 #1 of 12
    Steve in VA

Steve in VA New Member

Apr 23, 2003
    3 Questions -

1. If I relocate a hard drive from one TiVo HD Series 3 unit to another TiVo HD Series 3 unit, will I still be able to access all the programs that are already recorded on that hard drive? (Note: I'm not as concerned about keeping the settings and season passes, etc.)

2. Once the hard drive has been installed in the second TiVo HD unit, will I need to repeat the guided setup process in order to use it at the same location?

3. Will TiVo allow me to transfer my monthly service subscription from the first TiVo HD Series 3 unit to the second TiVo HD Series 3 unit at the first unit's currently "grandfathered" $6.95 MSD monthly rate? (Note: A Tivo Series 2 unit with lifetime service should continue to serve as the qualifying unit for the MSD.)

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Aug 6, 2011 #2 of 12
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    When you move the hard drive from a tivo to another, you must run Clear & Delete everything or else you get an error.

You can change service numbers on monthly subscription.

3. Aug 6, 2011 #3 of 12
    section128drunk

section128drunk Member

May 6, 2007
    I put a DRT800 drive in a t800, it booted but I got some crazy errors and a dvd drive option in my tivo menu :) I thought that's where this thread was going :)

4. Aug 6, 2011 #4 of 12
    lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I am curious - Why are you doing this? You have a dead HD TiVo that has a working drive? That's - unusual.

5. Aug 6, 2011 #5 of 12
    classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    A DRT800 and a T800 are different model TiVos, as far as software image compatibility goes. It won't work at all.

Rule of thumb, if the first 3 digits of the TSN are the same it you can move the drive, but you will lose all recordings and settings, since you must C&DE (that is, unless both TiVos are PROM modded, or a Series 1 or 1xx or 2xx model - Series 1s use no encryption).

6. Aug 6, 2011 #6 of 12
    Steve in VA

Steve in VA New Member

Apr 23, 2003
    I need to replace a TiVo HD with a 1 TB HDD that I recently gave to a my wife's very elderly parents. Unfortunately, just about a week after I gave it to them, this unit's phone modem was damaged in an electrical storm. Otherwise, the unit is still working okay. Since they have never had (and still don't want to have) a PC or internet in their home, they'll now need another HD unit with phone modem capability. From everything I've recently read, attempting to repair the phone modem components located on the TiVo HD motherboard is not a cost-effective thing to do for a unit without lifetime service. Prior to giving them the now damaged TiVo HD, I had pre-loaded it with ~50 full-length HD movies without commercials. I was hoping that I would be able to directly move this pre-loaded 1 TB hard drive to a replacement 160 GB TiVo HD unit rather than having to first upgrade the replacement unit with a new 1 TB hard drive and then go through the time consuming process of transferring on the movies from my PC and TiVo Premiere units. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like I can do this.

7. Aug 6, 2011 #7 of 12
    shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    One option is to see if your parents have a neighbor close by who would let them use their wireless network to download guide data for the Tivo. If so, you could just hook up a wireless adapter to the Tivo.

Another option is to cancel the service on the Tivo with the bad modem and your parents could still watch all the previously recorded shows. You could then buy second Tivo HD and activate service on it.

Make sure you get a surge protector for the telephone line and power.

8. Aug 6, 2011 #8 of 12
    lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    I've seen references in this forum to using an external modem connected to the Tivo serial port to replace the dead internal modem. I do not have direct experience with this method but thought I'd mention it as a possible cheaper alternative to a new unit.

9. Aug 6, 2011 #9 of 12
    lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    A TiVo HD doesn't have a serial port.

10. WO312

WO312 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Finger...
    Many, many years ago, I had a Series 1 where the modem stopped working. I remember trying to get an external modem to work with limited success. Then one day, for some reason, I had the Tivo powered down, plug pulled, for a couple of hours. When I plugged it back in, the modem was working, and never failed again.

Sounds like yours is probably fried, but hey, try it, it can't hurt.

Edit: during my attempts to fix it, there were a number of times the Tivo was rebooted and also powered down, but never for a long period of time. For some reason, the long period of time did the trick.

11. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Do you mean that the internal modem started working again?

12. WO312

WO312 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Finger...
    Yes.