Setup with no phone land line

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by posti, Sep 6, 2007.

1. posti

posti New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    I just bought a TiVo Series2 40 Hour DVR TCD540040 Digital Video Recorder because it is capable of recording antenna broadcasts as we ditched our cable. I'm 2/3 of the way through the setup and it keeps telling me to activate by phone. Thing is I have no land line phone, only a cell phone. I assumed I could use the wireless adapter and home network just like I did when setting up my previous TCD649080, but it appears not.

Question is, do I need a land line to complete the initial setup? Is there any way around this. From other threads I'm guessing the answer is no and I'm SOL, but I know you experts will know right away. I miss my tivo

Nick

2. litkaj

litkaj Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Exton, PA
    When I got my S3 a TiVo rep told me that the older units had to have a phone line for the initial setup. I don't know if that's true or not though as that same rep gave me some bum info about the S3 (nothing major)...

3. barbeedoll

barbeedoll New Member

Sep 26, 2005
    Here's what they say at Tivo.

You will need a phone line to perform Guided Setup on your DVR if your DVR was pre-installed with TiVo software prior to version 7.2. All TiVo Series2 DT, Series3, and TiVo HD DVRs are pre-loaded with software versions 7.2 or later; you can perform Guided Setup on these DVRs using a network connection.

You can run Guided Setup using your network connection if your DVR has software version 7.2 or later pre-installed.

Look on the side of the box your Tivo came in and look for the 12 digit UPC code. If it has the letters SS next to it, your Tivo has 7.2 or later already installed. You can connect the Tivo to your network during Guided Setup.

For more information, go to Tivo.com. Along the left choose Setup and Support. Search for "set up Tivo with no phone line". From the articles it will pull up, choose "Do I Need a Phone Line for Guided Setup?" It will give you this same information.

Barbeedoll

4. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    There are but two way to setup a Tivo that is, via phone line or even better with an ethernet connection...

Even the DirecTV units require at the very least a land line for daily channel updates...

Your device will still function up to a point.. after that you'll see "to be anounnced" in the channel menus...

I tried the string an two tin cans method with little success, was placed on hold...LOL

5. wscannell

wscannell Member

Dec 6, 2003
    The DirecTv units do not require a phone line for the daily updates. They get program info from the satellite.

6. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    Yeah, the land line is for PPV, I forgot