Setup with Direct TV HR24 with AM21 OTA tuner

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Joe_Cruse, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Joe_Cruse

Joe_Cruse New Member

Dec 8, 2017

Advertisements

TIVO Sires 2 signal tuner.
    I have direct TV HR/24 with a AM21 offair tuner TIVO program guide does not support this. If I add a off air tuner I get the correct program guide but when I want to see or record a program the TIVO looks for a RF input there is no RF outputs. from direct tv HR/24 with the AM21. It is incorporated in the direct tv guide just like any other DBS channel. all functions and playback uses the same cables. Again no RF output.

I have asked and open multiple tickets it appears TIVO support is outdated and not current with the info they send.

I also have Bright House which is now Spectrum using a Samsung cable set up box Samsung model SMT-H3362 will not change channels with TIVO your support team does not support this unit from the cable company?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Today's OTA signals are now digital (ATSC). Tivo tuners are analog (NTSC) and you would need to hook up a OTA digital adapter to a Series 2 and older Tivo.

Tivo needs a special cable (IR Blaster) to control the adapter box, or digital cable box. Which also means, it can only record 1 channel at a time.

Beginning with Series 3 Tivos, cable cards are used so, it can record more than 1 channel at a time.

Subscription wise, Tivo no long will activate Series 3 and older models and will not renew annual and monthly subscriptions any more. Although boxes with lifetime will continue to function.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  3. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I’m not terribly astonished that the S2 TiVo doesn’t understand the HR24/AM21 combo - there have been enough issues with TiVos and DirecTV DVRs just by themselves. I believe that the AM21 came around after the S2 was discontinued. In the past, with DirecTV receivers, off-air channels would be recorded from an antenna, but of course the RF tuner in the S2 can’t see ATSC broadcasts.

Unless there’s some magic I don’t know about, this just isn’t going to work. Besides, the S2 is standard-def only. Why not use the HR24 to record off-air channels?

4. Joe_Cruse

Joe_Cruse New Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I understand that but the Direct TV AM21 is a ATSC tuner made for Direct TV the output is via a USB into the Direct TV set top box. TIVO program guide does not recognize this so you cannot record any OTA programs I do have the instruction guides and or photos if anyone is interested.

5. Joe_Cruse

Joe_Cruse New Member

Dec 8, 2017

Advertisements

I do not have the recording room on the Direct TV DVR I had upgraded the TIVO Hard drive and would like to continue to use it.