Setup Reccomendations

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Rollinboy10, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Rollinboy10

Rollinboy10 New Member

Jul 28, 2007

Advertisements

Guys I need some reccomendadtions on a new Tivo setup:

Currenty I have Directv with a HR10-250 and a few Directv brand DVR's. I am looking at dropping D'tv and go with FIOS for everything. My house is only a few months old and I have verified all FIOS services are available.

I'm looking at probably getting 2 of the new TivoHD's, here are a few questions I have:

-From what I hear/read the new TivoHD supports a MultiStream Cable Card. Does this use 1 physical cable or 2? When building my house I went a head and wired 2 coax connections to each TV. Could I do 2 MultiStream cards with 2 cox cables and have 4 channels decoded at once?

-I have read that the new Tivo does not have access to tivo-to-go yet. Is there any type of a of solution in place to transfer videos off the Tivo? I travel alot for extended periods of time with the military, I would like as much of an automated system as possible to be able to pull tv shows to where ever I am. I do have a Sling Box I'm just not sure how it works as I have not gotten it out of the box yet.

-How do all the features listed on the Tivo site work? i.e. One True Media Channel, Product Search and online scheduling. Do all of those simply use the internet connection?

-Finally is there an advantage to having the Series3 HD DVR? Aside from the THX cert and hard drive size has anyone found any other significant differences?

Thanks for the help guys

Scott

2. Rollinboy10

Rollinboy10 New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Are you saying with FIOS there is not Tivo Support or only with the new $299 TivoHD?

Edit- The guy above me removed his post. He must have been incorrect

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Verizon will provide CableCards that plug into the Series 3 HD Tivo. You don't use their cable box.

4. Rollinboy10

Rollinboy10 New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    that's what I thought, not sure what he was talking about up there. Do all the TivoHD have dual cable card inputs just like the S3? Also what is an approved way to get the videos off the Tivo?

5. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...

Advertisements

The TivoHD and Series 3 Tivo work exactly the same.

You do not need a Set Top box for either, but you do need the Cable Cards and both units will take One or Two.

At the current Time, Tivo Series 3's be it the original or HD model do not support TTG (TivoToGo) or MRV (Multiroom Viewing).

The only way you could transfer the Videos off the Series 3 right now is to take out the HD and hook it up to your PC.

This may change soon, but we have been hearing TTG and MRV are coming soon for Months.