1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setup questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Drpepr, Aug 10, 2018 at 11:38 PM.

1. Drpepr

Drpepr New Member

Aug 5, 2018
    Hi
    New to TiVo. Acquired a Roamio Plus and a few A92 minis with the hope of reducing the monthly rental/DVR fees.
    Have Verizon FIOS with the Gateway G1100 and the Verizon Network Extender.

The G1100 is in a room with no TV. The Extender is next to the kitchen TV.
    Three other TVs include the family room (by far the most use), media room, and bedroom (closest room to G1100)

So where do I put the roamio plus and the minis? Do the minis have less function compared to the roamio?

Do I use the ethernet connections for any of the boxes? I think all should be good using MoCa.

Where should I connect the slingbox? I think I maybe limited to where ever the roamio is due to the composite connections since all the minis will be with a TV.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Would be helpful to quantify just how many Minis you have.

Yes. The DVRs can cycle through all available (i.e. not allocated to any Mini) tuners via the Live TV button, retaining a 30-minute buffer for each tuner; a Mini is allocated a single tuner and jumping between channels resets the buffer with each channel change.

Plus many management functions are only available via the host DVR. (channel list and favorites editing, signal strength evaluation)

So the Roamio Plus DVR would likely be the best choice for the Family Room.

MoCA should be fine. (i.e. work great)

Either to the least-used Mini* or to a dedicated Mini not connected to any TV display -- to minimize conflict between the Slingbox viewer and anyone at home trying to use the Slingbox-connected device. (* "Least-used" may also be assessed based on which device will be least likely to be used if/when the Slingbox is needed.)

You can use the TiVo A/V Breakout Cable Kit (or equivalent) to connect the Slingbox via component video to a Mini -- while the Mini is connected via HDMI to a TV. (Note that the new Mini VOX is only capable of HDMI video output.)

Additional info:
    • See here for differences between the A92 v1 Mini remote and v2 Mini (which uses the same remote as the Roamio Plus).

• See cheap RF remote option >here< -- though noting RF capability would only be available for boxes where the required TiVo USB RF dongle was installed. Worst case, these RCN RF remotes can be used in IR mode with a v1 Mini, to at least provide the same button layout and functions as available via the Roamio Plus' RF remote; they can be upgraded to RF communication via the appropriate dongle. (TiVo can sometimes be cajoled into offering dongles free or at a discount; just don't confuse the RF dongle with the new BT/Bluetooth dongle required for VOX Remotes.)
    • With the Roamio Plus networked as a MoCA client, see this post for info on extending wired networking to Ethernet-capable devices co-located with the Roamio Plus.

Drpepr likes this.
  3. Drpepr

Drpepr New Member

Aug 5, 2018
    Thank you for the detailed reply. Very helpful!

I have 3 minis. Two of the remotes are the Slide Pro and 2 are the Roamio style and I have the dongles. The breakout cable should solve the slingbox issue.

Was reading a thread about the TiVo setup with fire cube so that will challenge me when I get to that.

Also concerned about the TiVo operating system options (hydra) but seems like personal preference. Since I am not familiar with the older software the newer one should probably be fine.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018 at 11:28 AM
  4. Drpepr

Drpepr New Member

Aug 5, 2018
    The other item I’m thinking about:
    I know I will lose VOD access going to a cable card. I didn’t think this was a big deal because the big networks have apps that let me log in with the FIOS account and give me access to content. However, I just noticed CBS access through the app has less “free” content than the FIOS VOD.
    Does anyone know more about the difference between apps and VOD?

Edit: Appears that the FIOS tv app allows VOD access.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018 at 10:15 AM