Setup Question for Two DVRs

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by trr, Jan 26, 2006.

1. trr

trr New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    I will be installing a HR-10 250 today in addition to a regular Directv DVR. I plan to run both DVRs on the same TV. What will I need, as far as hardware, to install the 2nd DVR. I have two coax cables running to the present DVR for the two tuners, and one coax cable to the HD Receiver I will be replacing with the 250. Can I run a splitter between the two DVRs, or will I need something else?

Thanks in advance

TRR

2. dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    Nope, you must use 2 separate cables for each DVR.
    Since you say you have an HD receiver, I assume this means you already have an oval dish, which normally has 4 outputs. Since you say you are replacing the HD receiver with the HR10-250, you'll need to run an additional cable to the dish & you're all set.
    (this is all assuming these are your ONLY receivers, since you didn't mention about any other receivers, so you shouldn't have a multiswitch in this mix)

3. trr

trr New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    Yes I have the oval dish with 3 lnbs. The setup that I will end up with, will be just the two receivers. The Directv wizard I talked to says I can use a multiswitch from the cable I use on the HD receiver I have now, to the new receiver. Will this work?

TRR

4. dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    No, no, no - you can't get out of running a 4th cable. Just DO it...

5. trr

trr New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    :( OK

TRR

6. DeWitt

DeWitt Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Saratoga...
    Well.... If running the fourth wire is a problem, you could use two for the HD Tivo and consider setting the old SD tivo up as a one input machine. Not optimal, but as long as you don't need to record two shows at the same time on the SD it will work fine. You will have to go through setup to change it though, you can't just unplug one cable.

7. trr

trr New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    Thanks, I thought of that to. I will probally just run another cable this week-end.

TRR