Setup on new TiVo HD

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jstaso, Sep 19, 2007.

1. jstaso

jstaso Member

Mar 8, 2004
    I've been reading through setup instructions and I can't find an answer to my question.

I have analog Comcast cable and have an appointment for cable card installation and an upgrade to digital. When I go through the setup for my new TiVo HD, should I choose basic cable as the input source, or digital so I will have those cable listings already downloaded? Will I need to have the digital listings in order for the installer to tune to a digital channel to test the cable card?

2. CCourtney

CCourtney Member

Mar 28, 2006
    El Dorado...
    Digital Cable.

Not sure if you'll be able to tune to the stations if you don't select digital channels and have the CableCARDs installed. But it doesn't matter too much as you just need to redo the source setup. If your using a network it's not that long.

CCourtney

PS: Selecting the 'Digital Cable' will still list all of the analog cable channels so why not do it?

3. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

will you even have an HDTV?

Why would you a Tivo HD if you are not going to get an HDTV?

4. CCourtney

CCourtney Member

Mar 28, 2006
    El Dorado...
    Who said he didn't have an HD TV? Just because he only has analog cable currently doesn't mean he doesn't have an HDTV. I know plenty of people using OTA for their HDTV, probably 90%+ of my recordings are available OTA.

CCourtney

5. jstaso

jstaso Member

Mar 8, 2004

I do have a 32" HD-capable TV, just been watching standard def on it. Also will be looking for a bigger HD TV. One step at a time.

6. spiraleyes

spiraleyes Tivo noob

Sep 17, 2007
    Salt Lake City
    I'll be using my Tivo HD with analog cable...

I also have an HD antenna, but that's not important to me.

7. cr33p

cr33p New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor MI
    One particular reason of owning a Tivo HD even without an HD tv set would be the ability to have a dual tuner, once the analog switch is moved all dual tuner SD boxes will need cable boxes and then become single tuners.

8. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I have cablecards installed in one of my TiVo HDs that isn't hooked up to a HDTV. Being able to record digital streams simulatenously is a huge benefit. And with the cablecards, I can get HBO, etc without having to use a cablebox. Picture quality over the S2DT is much better as well.

9. scottkathi

scottkathi Member

Sep 14, 2001
    Sammamish,...
    At what point do you get to choose between basic cable and digital cable? I just went through set up last night with my HD TIVO; I'm only getting the basic analog cable service, and I haven't installed my M-card yet... I don't remember getting the choice for an input source.

Scott

10. lament

lament New Member

Jul 5, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    You'll only get your analog channels until your cablecard(s) are installed (channels 2-99), but choose digital during the setup so it can start downloading the guide data now (it will take a while to download and set that up). You'll have to go through the guided setup again anyway when the installer leaves.

Just make sure you're getting the channels you're paying for before the installer leaves. :)

11. scottkathi

scottkathi Member

Sep 14, 2001
    Sammamish,...

12. lament

lament New Member

Jul 5, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    Unless you're not getting the channels you want to watch right now before the installer comes, then go ahead and re-run the guided setup.

As for your Comcast question - I have Cox, so I wouldn't know. Call them and ask?

13. scottkathi

scottkathi Member

Sep 14, 2001
    Sammamish,...
    I guess I'm still confused. I just re-ran guided setup, and my options were:

Cable
    Antenna
    Cable & antenna.

No option for 'digital' anything....

Scott

14. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    You just choose cable. There is no dsitinctionn between the digital or analog. It will search for all channels available and the cable cards will map them to the proper location.. with Comcast in my area we still have the analog channels with the cable cards. With FIOS, after the CC were installed it used a digital version of those analog channels.

15. jstaso

jstaso Member

Mar 8, 2004
    When I set up my TiVo's before, I used to have to pick between digital and basic cable. When I set up my newest TiVo last night, I found out it doesn't ask you that question anymore and figures the answer out by itself. I'm on my third TiVo now. Sorry about the confusion.