Setup of TiVo with ResNet (college ISP)

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by teasip, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Sep 4, 2011 #1 of 10
    teasip

teasip Member

Aug 24, 2002
    My daughter is a freshman at UT-Austin and I took her TiVo to her this weekend for her dorm room. When I attempt to add her device through through ResNet it asks for the MAC address. Since there is no router for her room (they don't allow one) and the TiVo setup program doesn't allow you to access the TiVo menu how does one get around this problem? I checked with ResNet CS for UT and they didn't have a clue. The private dorm doesn't either.

2. Sep 4, 2011 #2 of 10
    vectorcatch

vectorcatch New Member

Nov 20, 2008
    If this is an HD or a premiere the MAC address is on a sticker on the rear of the TiVo.

3. Sep 5, 2011 #3 of 10
    wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    An absurd policy which you should ignore. (Yeah, I know, easy for me to say.) Probably what they really don't want is WiFi. You can just disable that, or get a router without WiFi built in.

4. Sep 5, 2011 #4 of 10
    teasip

teasip Member

Aug 24, 2002
    Ah! I never thought (or noticed) to look on the back of the TiVo. Thanks for the suggestion!

5. Sep 7, 2011 #5 of 10
    jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    I had the same issue with ResNet at another University. Registering the TiVo MAC never worked. I set up a cheap router, disabled wireless and put the PC and TiVo on it. Whenever the ResNet system scan was done (seemed like every 3 days), I had my daughter switch the Ethernet cable direct from PC to the wall Ethernet outlet, do the authorization and switch back. A little inconvenient, but it worked for 3 years.

I finally got the IT folks to admit there was a bug on their network (since registering the TiVo MAC should work), but could never get them to fix it.

If you are willing to forgo the network features, you could always use the phone line.

6. Sep 7, 2011 #6 of 10
    teasip

teasip Member

Aug 24, 2002
    Thanks for the additional insight. I have the TiVo back home for the moment and am using it to access programming from the bedroom since I don't have a viable signal otherwise accessible (I tried splitting the attic antenna that is currently dedicated to the primary family set as a backup in case of FiOS power outage but that didn't work well). Since both family TiVo's have lifetime my OOP cost is only the monthly M card fee and my daughter isn't screaming for the TiVo either. Since my daughter doesn't have a landline in her room I didn't try the phone plug.

7. Sep 7, 2011 #7 of 10
    wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Man that is some stupid gratuitous fascism.

8. aymanme

aymanme Member

May 8, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Castilian by chance? That is where I lived, I had a blast there. Got my BS in 96, MS in 98, PhD in 03. I was on the adjunct faculty after that.

Now back to your regular topic ....

9. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    You would think with the popularity of set top boxes, colleges would make this process a little easier.

10. teasip

teasip Member

Aug 24, 2002
    Yep, she's at Castilian. That is one of life's regrets that I didn't complete my degree plan at UT-Austin but instead was accepted to UTMB-Galveston ('83). That degree (UTMB) has certainly paid the bills but I'd still like to have one from the Forty Acres.