Setup new Roamio tv with Yamaha Receiver and Samsung tv

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by graceamj, Mar 11, 2017.

1. graceamj

graceamj New Member

Mar 11, 2017

Advertisements

I just cut the cable and purchased a new Tivo Roamio. What's the best setup to run the Roamio, BluRay and TV through the receiver? I have surround sound system hooked up to the receiver.
    Thanks for your help. :)

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    You probably ought to offer up a few more details...

For instance, you say you have a 'new' Roamio, but don't mention the 'age' of the Yamaha and TV. Or the 'type' of connections available on each...

Otherwise, this phrase:

the best setup to run the Roamio, BluRay and TV through the receiver

Mostly sums it up, except you run the BluRay and TiVo through the Yamaha and then 'on' to the TV...

-KP

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    What model Yamaha? I use an RX-V867. My Blu-ray and Roamio connect to HDMI inputs. I have Scene buttons set to select the input and its DSP. I also run an optical line to the AVR from the TV and Roamio. OTA or cable?

4. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Why would you run an optical cable from the TiVo since it's connecting via HDMI?

Additionally, the Yamaha supports ARC, if you can get that voodoo to work...

-KP

5. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

Testing audio problems: Odd Audio Dropouts

I never use my TV speakers, no ARC and no CEC. Like you said: voodoo.

I also have the A/V connection used with wireless headphones. It's always PCM.

6. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    What, exactly, do you get out of the TV that the TiVo doesn't already provide?

I've had some issue with the audio cutting off during 7-second Replay's and 30-second Skips, but that random audio cutout would drive me crazy!

-KP

7. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I like playing with my toys. Also, someone was speculating on the optical output capabilities of a Roamio or Sony TV. Both devices can only send DD 5.1 max out the optical port. The HDMI port on a Roamio can send DD+ and DD EX. My TV will also send DD 5.1 from any HDMI input out it's optical port. Color me curious.

The audio cutout is most notable with sports or music backgrounds, since an interruption of that sound is very obvious. Only happening a few times a day is a great improvement over how it used to be. I am not one of those who gets dropouts from streaming sources or recordings.

8. graceamj

graceamj New Member

Mar 11, 2017
    I have a Yamaha RX-A710 Receiver (about 6 years old), Samsung PN50C8000 television (7 years old).

9. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    In your original post, you stated "run the TV" through the AVR. That's not the best use. Plug your equipment into your Yamaha. Plug the HDMI out into your TV. Set your Scene buttons. Forget the TV has a tuner.

If you want to use HDMI Control or ARC you are asking for trouble.

kpeters59 and mdavej like this.