1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

setup issues on a "refurbished' Mini (delay between key presses)

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by bertp, Oct 5, 2018.

1. bertp

bertp New Member

Sep 24, 2018
    Hello

I am trying to setup a "refurbished" Tivo Mini recently purchased from a supposedly reputable dealer on eBay. At this moment I am stuck at the "Name This Tivo Box" step.

The problem is that I am having to wait maybe 10 seconds from the time the mini accepts each keypress on the remote before the mini accepts another. There have been a few exceptions when I could get the cursor to move 3 times quickly before I am delayed again but the pattern seems to be one keypress followed by a big big delay.

I am pretty certain that this problem was present in the previous steps but I got through them fairly easily because they required very little input. Could this be a networking problem? My instinct is that it is not because I think there would be no need for the mini to send anything anywhere until setup (or at least this step) has been completed. Also the mini seemingly passed the connection step

I do know that the remote works because it can easily and efficiently navigate the menu on my Roamio.
    ------
    I am a getting bad feeling about the integrity of this well-known dealer; even the batteries for my remote did not work... They were wrapped as if they were new and these Duracells show an expiration date in 2021..... However the batteries did not work in the included remote nor in the remote of my Roamio

Anyone have any insights or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Have you tried the eBay remote in IR mode?

Once through setup, reset the Mini’s RF pairings and do a global reset on the remote, and try the remote again. Then do the same for an RF remote from another box (Roamio?) to see if the issue persists.

https://support.tivo.com/articles/Features_Use/TiVo-Remotes-RF-Pairing-Instructions

bertp likes this.
  3. bertp

bertp New Member

Sep 24, 2018
    Thanks! this was all remote control issues. My mini's remote control wouldn't automatically pair with the mini using instruction on screen during setup, but the link you provided had instructions for manual pairing that worked and seems to have resolved all of my current problems ;-)

krkaufman likes this.