Setting up Tivo with Freeview....

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by jonnypetrie, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Sep 2, 2007 #1 of 17
    jonnypetrie

jonnypetrie New Member

May 7, 2006
    I've just moved into my new house, and having solved a problem of lack of convenient phone sockets for now through this forum, I thought I'd pester you with a new problem.
    I've binned my Sky subscription and now just have an integrated Freewiew tuner in my Sony TV.
    I'm now having problems with the guided setup.
    Everything is connected OK, and I'm getting as far as the IR test instructions without trouble. It seems to be recognising all the channels that I get through my digital aerial.
    When i try to go beyond that stage though, to actually test out the codes, I just get a black screen saying "The Recorder is not getting a signal from your set-top box"
    I don't know if I'm just being really stupid, but could someone help me through the set up for integrated freeview, to let me know what I'm doing wrong?
    Thanks

2. Sep 2, 2007 #2 of 17
    TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Although you say everything is connected OK, it sounds like it isn't!

Ones to check:

Fully wired SCART?
    Plugged in to AUX not Video?
    Freeview box not set to S-Video output?

3. Sep 2, 2007 #3 of 17
    jonnypetrie

jonnypetrie New Member

May 7, 2006
    Ok, I admit that I may have connected the Scart in the wrong socket in the back of the tivo, but that is now corrected and I have got picture!! the only problem now is that all the codes that it gives me for changing the channel don't work. What is my next move? At the moment I'm using the IR emitters, but I don't know if this is what I'm supposed to use. It's an integrated Freeview tuner, rather than a set top one, if that helps at all...

4. Sep 2, 2007 #4 of 17
    daveh

daveh Gnarled member

Sep 3, 2001
    And there's your problem. How can the Tivo record the freeview program when the tuner is within the TV itself?

5. Sep 2, 2007 #5 of 17
    Pugwash

Pugwash New Member

May 23, 2003
    Spalding'ish
    Yes, get yourself a 30 quid freeview box. Mine was from amazon and I made sure it was a based on a chipset that was known to work with TiVo. I can't tell you what it is off the top of my head as it's behind the TV somwhere.

6. Sep 2, 2007 #6 of 17
    jonnypetrie

jonnypetrie New Member

May 7, 2006
    Ok, thanks for your comment, DaveH, but a rhetorical question like that doesn't give me much help. I'm not an expert in Tivo - that's why I come on this forum - so that people who know much more about it than I do can help me out, which I greatly appreciate.
    It feels as if you are looking down your nose at me, and I don't know the answer to your question, so perhaps you could answer it yourself for me.
    I'm sorry for having a bit of a rant but it has hacked me off that somebody appears to be laughing at me on what is otherwise excellent forum.
    Perhaps someone else might be able to give me some proper advice. Is DaveH trying to tell me that because my Freeview tuner is integrated in my TV, then I am stuffed unless I buy a set top box of some sort?

7. Sep 2, 2007 #7 of 17
    RWILTS

RWILTS New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Cardiff
    Hi,

I dont think anyone is having a go at you or looking down their nose, its just the normal manner of exchanges in this forum. I read it as a short quick answer more than an insult.

Anyway to your problem, yes you are right intigrated freeview TV's cannot be controlled by external devices ( save for a few manufacturers that allow their dvd recorders to link directly to their tv's, such as panasonic).

You will need to get a external freeview box to be controlled by your Tivo, there is a list on the forum of compatable boxes i believe. I myself am using a digibrand from asda very sucessfully.

Perservier with the forum, once you get used to the exchanges you will find it amusing, infomative and addictive,

Added bonus will be that you can view a freeview channel on the tv whilst recording a different freeview channle on the Tivo.
    good luck

8. Sep 2, 2007 #8 of 17
    RichardJH

RichardJH New Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Hanworth....
  9. Sep 2, 2007 #9 of 17
    jonnypetrie

jonnypetrie New Member

May 7, 2006
    Sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick - I;m just trying to find a solution, and that wasn't really helping.
    So, if I buy a freeview box, will my Tivo just be connected to that, or is it still connected to the TV?
    What should I connect to the digital aerial socket on the wall?
    I'm probably sounding like a bit of a div now, but the whole things getting me a bit confused to be honest

10. Nebulous

Nebulous New Member

Nov 28, 2005
  11. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    The Freeview box will be the input for the TiVo and the TV will be the output, so

Freeview ("TV" SCART)--> TiVo ("AUX" SCART)
    TiVo ("TV" SCART") --> TV SCART

The freeview box, then take the RF output from that into the TV so

Aerial --> Freeview (RF IN)
    Freeview (RF OUT) --> TV (Aerial)

That way your TiVo will record from the freeview box and your TV (when switched to its internal tuner) will be able to view any freeview channel regardless of what the TiVo is doing.

12. AMc

AMc Active Member

Mar 22, 2002
    East of England
    Make sure the Freeview box has both RF IN and RF OUT sockets - some of the most basic ones or smallest ones don't have the output.
    If your Freeview signal is strong enough you can use a spltter on the aerial input - look for a 'low loss' one as this will help to keep a good signal into both devices.

13. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Or if you have £79 rather than £29 to spend and miss free channels such as CNN, Euronews, Truemovies etc that are free on Sky and not on Freeview you could get a Sky Pay Once Watch Forever box and dish installed for this price with no ongoing subscription requirement.

See www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/editorial/Sky+Pay+Once+Watch+Forever

You might want to consider this if you live in an area where you can't receive all the Freeview channels or where reception is unreliable on Freeview.

14. daveh

daveh Gnarled member

Sep 3, 2001
    Sorry you took it that way but I assumed you had read the sticky note to newcomers at the top of the UK forum which, amongst other good advice, recommends doing a search of this forum for questions which have been asked before. Obviously I was mistaken.

15. jonnypetrie

jonnypetrie New Member

May 7, 2006
    Thanks blindlemon, am getting started on sorting this out tonight. Going by your instructions, there is no RF in or out of the Tivo itself. Is this right? Should I also do an installation of the Freeview box before I start connecting it to the Tivo and running the guided setup?

16. Pugwash

Pugwash New Member

May 23, 2003
    Spalding'ish
    If you intend to feed the aerial into the Freeview box and then the TV, there's no need to also provide the TiVo with an analogue signal.
    Install the freeview box first and run it through it's own scan for channels. If you're new to freeview, it's worth checking out which channels you do or don't get in your area for free. I know when I first did mine I wasn't sure what some of the channels were or if I could get them.

17. jonnypetrie

jonnypetrie New Member

May 7, 2006
    All sorted, and Tivo up and running again. quite nice to be able to record one channel and watch another too. thanks for all your help, and sorry for being a pain in the arse.