Setting up series 2 with digital cable box

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Ardyar, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Ardyar

Ardyar New Member

Oct 24, 2010

Advertisements

I have a digital cable box (Comcast) Motorola 2244 set up with a digital tv.I just picked up a series 2 Tivo and heard I needed a digital converter box to use it.Is it used with the cable box or do you use it stand alone?If it's used with the cable box does it go in front of it or behind it in the chain?Thanks.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The converter box is used to receive digital signals from antenna/Over the air.

You can connect the cable box via the yellow/white/red connectors to the Tivo's input jacks, run guided setup and use the IR cables to control the cable box via Tivo.

3. Ardyar

Ardyar New Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Thanks.I thought since my cable box only sent out the all digital signal coming in that the series 2 needed an analog signal.I'll try it out.

4. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    The composite outputs (yellow for video, red & white for audio) are analog outputs.

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area

Advertisements

Yes, that is what is on his S2. Also, he could use S-video instead of the yellow.

6. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You might want to get a second cable box to watch live TV, because you won't want to change channels to watch something else on the cable box while the Tivo is recording.

7. ewilts

ewilts Who, me?

Feb 26, 2002
    Mounds View, MN
    The first thing to remember is that the S2 can NEVER receive a digital signal. never, nohow, noway.

You need to feed it an analog signal. It outputs an analog signal.

It makes no sense to put a digital cable box on the output end of an S2 since it will never get a digital signal.

My recommendation is to get rid of the S2 & the Motorola 2244 and replace them with a TiVo HD, S3, or Premiere - all of those can record the digital signals and output either analog or digital.

8. Ardyar

Ardyar New Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Thanks,I didn't know that.I didn't go for the HD because between the upgrade and the box rental it would have run an extra $20 per mo. and I didn't want to pay it.I picked up a Tivo with lifetime so I'm set until work picks up.When setting up the wireless with the Tivo G wireless adapter it is asking for a password,but it doesn't work.Maybe they mean WEP # ? Thanks for all the help.