Setting up new TiVo Mini VOX to Roamio Pro on TE3

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by mmascari, Dec 2, 2019 at 9:48 PM.

1. mmascari

mmascari Member

May 16, 2002
    Any suggestions for setting up a new TiVo Mini VOX to connect to a Roamio Pro running TE3?

Having spent the better part of 4 hours on the phone with TiVo support, with the Mini VOX stuck at the V70 error unable to find a host DVR, I'm exchanging it with Amazon for a new Mini VOX. TiVo's assertion is that the box is defective and needs to be replaced by Amazon, since it was purchased from Amazon.

I'm not the most hopeful that the new one is going to work.

I have an existing Roamio Pro and older Mini, both from December 2013 running TE3 with no desire to update to TE4. Verizon FIOS service, using the Verizon Quantum Gateway (new in 2018) to create a MOCA network. The existing Roamio and Mini both work fine, connect to each other and the Internet.

Hooking up the new Mini VOX, it connects to the Moca network fine, connects to TiVo for account and download in initial guided setup. Both new Mini VOX and TiVo website reflect the same changed device name. But, then after that's done, it goes to the V70 cannot find Host DVR error and never gets past it. Rebooting the Mini VOX stays in this endless loop forever, repeating guided setup and stopping at the same spot.

Over the course of those hours with Support, they had me do repeated Network Connections from the Roamio, reboot the Roamio, reboot the router, and they confirmed that they could see the new Mini VOX. They confirmed that the Mini VOX was running TE4. But, they were expecting it to see the Roamio and prompt to downgrade, which never happened. On the first call, they said they would push the TE3 software to it and to wait 3-5 hours and call back. But, after those hours, it was still on TE4.

The only solution offered by support was to return it to Amazon and get another one, saying this one must be defective. Each time they said this, it definitely seemed like they would have preferred I bought directly from them. There was nothing they could do directly, and stated that Amazon would need to replace it under warranty.

Beyond being super mad, and now needing to wait 3 days for the new unit to arrive and repeat all of this, any suggestions on steps to do differently? Or, things to check? Ideally, I don't want to change to TE4, stuck in my ways and happy with TE3 just fine.

PS: The Amazon call took all of 10 minutes, they immediately gave me a return shipping label and ordered the new unit.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019 at 9:56 PM
  2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    That didn't make much sense.

3. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Repeated connections to the TiVo Service and rebooting the TiVo's would be the number 1 thing to try. And maybe a full power down and slow-reboot of the network would be next.

-KP

4. mmascari

mmascari Member

May 16, 2002
    Don't type angry. Sorry about that, it stayed on TE4. When I called back, I asked specifically what version it was running, still TE4.

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
  6. Fant

Fant Member

Aug 31, 2016
    I just set up a new TiVo mini vox from Amazon with my bolt .. before I even powered on the mini .. I added it to my account on TiVo.com .. then I waited overnite (when I presume the bolt called home and got updated with the new mini authorization). Make sure in the TiVo site it doesn't say that it's still waiting to activate. Then I had the bolt manually call home just for the hell of it. Then I connected the mini vox to a tv and to Ethernet. It came online with I presume the new software and then self updated. Then after a few updates and reboots it recoginizes my bolt has TE3 and the only option it gives is to downgrade. I do that and it reboots and connects and updates to the latest TE3 .. finally after like 30-40 min of all this it connects and works with my bolt fine.

Sorry I'm not sure if any of this helps you .

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

7. mmascari

mmascari Member

May 16, 2002
    It might, thanks. I plugged the mini in before the website changed to active last time. I was planning on waiting this time. No idea why this process takes so long. I don’t remember it being this hard in 2013.

8. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I was able to run my A95 Mini on a TE3 Roamio host without problems. The remote would only function in IR mode. Either remote. The A95 is back on TE4 at this time.