Setting up Multiswitch with Tone Generators HELP!

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by akabrad, Jul 22, 2007.

1. akabrad

akabrad New Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Alright so I need some help with ideas on how to split some extra connections from my DirecTV.

The current setup is an ellipitcal dish that is hooked up to a zinwell 5x8 multiswitch unpowered. This has worked fine thus far for the hdtv and other receivers connected to it, but I am getting some new roommates and some more people want to get DirecTV tivos.

Connections As Of Now:
    4 - 2 DirecTV tivos
    3 - DirecTV receivers
    1 - DirecTV HD receiver

I need to add at least 3 more connections and I dont want to have to buy the powered zinwell 6x16 multiswitch to do so.

I searched for awhile and read the stickies but I could not find any diagrams to help me with this.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

2. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    If you need just another three connections just get another 5x8 multiswitch and run 4 connections from the first 5x8 multiswitch to the inputs of the second 5x8 multiswitch. That will give you a total of 12 outputs If you are diplexing the OTA antenna then you will need to run the OTA to both multiswitches.

If you need more than 12 you will have to get 4 high frequency splitters that pass power on one leg. You will then split the cables coming from the satellite dish and connect the split signal to the same port on both multiswitches. This will give you 16 outputs.

3. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    The title of this thread should be changed to better represent the question that was asked. No tone generators are needed in the solution to this question. Rminsk covered it quite well.

4. akabrad

akabrad New Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Thanks rminsk. So another Zinwell 5x8 connected to my present one will solve my problems? I didn’t think you could cascade the connection.. Is there a certain attachment to put in between the two multi switches. I thought it was more complicated with a 18x24" dish.

And a correction my zinwell is a 6x8 multi switch. I read that the model WB68 is not cascadable.

5. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    The wb68 does change things a little bit. You can not cascade wb68 if you are using either of the flex ports (the 72.5 degree satellite). If you are not using the flex ports then it should work fine. If you are you will have to use the second method of splitting the signals before they feed the multiswitches. I'm not sure if on the wb68 you have to use splitter that pass power on both legs or one.

6. akabrad

akabrad New Member

Aug 2, 2006
    I found somewhere that I needed to use these HRS2 splitters. I read that I need to put them on before the multi switch and then I will have 16 outputs. Can anyone back that up? What are the flex ports used for?

7. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    The flex ports are used for the 72.5 and 95 degree satellites. Some markets have there locals on those satellites. If you are not using them now then do not work about them. You can do as I described earlier and split the signals before the two multiswitches. Since they are WB68 multiswitches you will have to use wide band splitters. The HRS2 is a wide band splitter and should work. Just make sure you hook up the split signals to the same port on both multiswitches.

8. akabrad

akabrad New Member

Aug 2, 2006
    cool thank you very much. Do I have to order these HRS2's online or does anyone know if a chain store like radio shack keeps them in stock?