Setting up MoCA with Roamio OTA on FIOS

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Tmad80, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Nov 2, 2015 #1 of 15
    Tmad80

Tmad80 New Member

Nov 1, 2015

Advertisements

I'm trying to figure out what is needed to set up MoCA on my home network, and am fairly confused by conflicting posts I've seen. My ultimate goal is to have a Roamio OTA hooked up to an antenna in the living room, and have a Mini in our bedroom.

The living room has a single coax line feeding the cable modem (with FIOS), and a Roamio OTA hooked up to an antenna.

The bedroom has a single coax line, and I'll be purchasing a Mini to install there.

Am I correct in thinking I just need a single MoCA adapter for the living room, since the Roamio OTA doesn't have one built in? The Mini does have MoCA built in, so I'd just need to plug it into the wall, right? I feel like I'm oversimplifying it.

2. Nov 2, 2015 #2 of 15
    BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    The issue here is, you need to connect the Roamio OTA to your network, but the two coax feeds (Fios and OTA) are physically separate from one another.

The easiest thing to do is connect the ROTA by ethernet if it's in the same room as the router. And the Fios router should be able to communicate with the Mini (assuming the mini's coax is connected to the Fios feed.) No adapter needed.

Two possible solutions (re-used from helping somebody else):

[​IMG]

If running ethernet directly to the router isn't practical:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  3. Nov 2, 2015 #3 of 15
    Tmad80

Tmad80 New Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Thanks Jim. The router will be sitting right next to the Roamio, so an ethernet hookup is no problem. So basically, Verizon will already be using a MoCA network to to get their signal to my router, so I don't need to really do anything?

4. Nov 2, 2015 #4 of 15
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Correct-ish!

Your FiOS router has likely already established a MoCA network on your coax lines, to which your Mini will be able to connect once hooked-up via coax. And your Roamio OTA can be connected via Ethernet to your router, as you've stated, for its network/Internet connectivity. If only it were always so easy!

You could probably log in to your FiOS router to verify its current MoCA settings, but I'm not familiar with their models/UIs, so can't suggest a particular menu path or settings screen to access. What brand/model is your router?

5. Nov 2, 2015 #5 of 15
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

Just to emphasize BigJim's point, the "easy peasy" assessment assumes that the coax outlet in the bedroom to which the Mini will be attached connects back to the same coax wiring to which your FiOS router is connected. It very likely does, but it's something to verify -- and certainly among the first things to investigate if the Mini can't find your MoCA network (assuming you've already verified the router settings).

6. Nov 2, 2015 #6 of 15
    Tmad80

Tmad80 New Member

Nov 1, 2015
    I don't actually have the Verizon setup yet, but I'm describing what they'd done when we had FIOS a couple years ago. I'm planning to buy their Quantum Gateway G1100 router. My hope is to have all the equipment I'll need when the Verizon guy comes to do the install.

7. Nov 2, 2015 #7 of 15
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Hi,
    The Quantum Gateway G1100 router is way cheaper off of Ebay. All Verizon Fios routers have MoCA Lan enabled by default to the d1 channel, 1150MHz, it takes a bit to disable it. So, assuming you have a continuous cable setup, i.e, all connected to each other, and can get an Ethernet cable to your Roamio....you should be good.

8. Nov 2, 2015 #8 of 15
    Tmad80

Tmad80 New Member

Nov 1, 2015
    I've heard horror stories of Verizon rejecting any routers not bought directly through them. Is that not a legitimate concern?

9. Nov 2, 2015 #9 of 15
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    No it is not a legitimate concern!
    By the way, there are Verizon forums which I have frequented for over 2 years and I absolutely never heard of one such issue, quite the opposite.

10. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Since you don't have Fios yet, I should qualify this a bit more.

Most Fios setups have included a coax connection to the router. Nowadays it will be an ethernet connection IF the internet speed you chose is higher than 75mbps. (such as 100 mbps, 150, etc)

If the router is connected by coax, you won't need to do anything else other than what was described above in the picture, except for making sure the coax running to the Mini is also connected to the Fios feed.

If it's an ethernet connection, you'll still want a coax connection to the router as well so that the router can create the moca network. You can do this yourself with a splitter and some coax if the installer doesn't do it for you.

Get the router cheaper if you can. $200 is silly expensive. They don't always like it if you use some other random router, but if you use one of their routers they don't care if you bought it someplace else.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  11. Tmad80

Tmad80 New Member

Nov 1, 2015
    The router is currently only $150 from Verizon, but it looks like I can still beat that by $20-30 on eBay.

12. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Hi again,
    The current standard install for Fios 50/50 is coax only. Anything above 50/50 is both Ethernet and coax from the ONT to the router.
    EDIT: Curious where are you seeing the G1100 for $150?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  13. Tmad80

Tmad80 New Member

Nov 1, 2015
    When I went to sign up, Verizon was showing a $50 discount off the router (from $200 to $150). My home is already wired for their service, so it's possible I'm seeing different deals.

Is that a good enough price that's it's just worth going for it? Seems like I could do $125 on eBay, but then I run the risk of getting a dud.

14. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Hi,
    If you are risk adverse, buy one from Verizon, I would get one from Ebay which actually seem to be a bit lower than $125 but your call. BTW, that change to drop the Ethernet install to the 75/75 tier only showed up a few days ago on their forums.
    A couple other things, Verizon's initial fees have been both increasing and changing names at the same time. Check the details on your initial email confirmation and don't be afraid to challenge any fees they didn't mention. Also they have given people who want to go cable card only a hard time at the initial install. The usual work around is to just do the order with a box for 1 TV and then try to get the Verizon Direct forum folks to add a cable card. If they can't get the box removed, accept it and then just return it asap.

15. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I've been using my own routers on FiOS for over eight years. I've never had any issues.

Although, after last week, I now have six of the FiOS supplied routers gathering dust in closets. They sent me a new G1100 router just last week. Even though I told them not to.