Setting up Moca Network

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by rileychp, Sep 26, 2016.

1. rileychp

rileychp New Member

Sep 21, 2016

Advertisements

Hi,

I just ordered a new Bolt and two Mini's as I am switching from Uverse to Comcast and am excited to make a return to Tivo service which I last had with the series 2.

My house was previously wired for Comcast but the incoming cable has since been taken out by a tree and so will need to be reinstalled. The boxes and Comcast are scheduled to come later in the week but I am trying to plan how I am going to set up my network and had some questions about box placement using a Moca network.

I have attached a graphic of how I would like to set up the network. The Coax network is currently setup on an amplified splitter outside the house with three cables (C2, C3, C4) running into the house. I can run a fourth cable in easily but not near where I would be placing the bolt and I would like to use the bolt to make the Moca network and avoid having to purchase a bridge.

Will the Moca network work as I have it drawing with a second splitter near the Bolt TV to accommodate the Modem/Router?

I also understand I have to have a POE filter on the incoming line (C1) but do I need one anywhere else?

Attached Files:

2. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    If the amp is MoCA compatible you would put the MoCA filter on it's input. If you give the make and model # of the amp and the cable modem we can tell you if they are MoCA friendly. If the cable modem is not, you may need an additional filter on it's input.
    You should be able to use the Bolt's "create a MoCA network" setting so no MoCA adapter should be required.

3. rileychp

rileychp New Member

Sep 21, 2016
    Thank you fcfc2!

The Amp is a Commscope CSAPDU9VP, the modem is ARRIS SB6183, and the router is TP-Link C7.

If the Amp is compatible can the Bolt communicate with the Mini's even if downstream of another splitter?

Is it ok to have a second splitter after the amp as shown?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  4. Peter G

Peter G Member

Jan 3, 2012
    The Amp/Splitter needs to be MoCA compatible (i.e. up to 1600 MHz). If it does not include POE filter then you want one at C1 in your diagram. You may(or may not) need a POE at C6, depending of the MoCA signal may disturb the Modem. Finally the power inserter must also pass the MoCA band (>1600 MHz).

PCT make a 4 way MoCA distribution AMP with MoCA filter that would be a good choice for your primary Amp/Splitter. In fact with a good AMP you may not need the power inserter at C4.

Attached Files:

5. Peter G

Peter G Member

Jan 3, 2012

Advertisements

The Commscope amp is rated for 54-1002 MHz. It may pass the higher frequencies of MoCA but is not guaranteed to do so. You may need a MoCA compatible AMP in it place.

Peter G

6. thyname

thyname Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    I can't find it now, but there was a post in these forums about MoCA frequencies on TiVo. Something like this (below) but more detailed:

The channels are:

15: 1150 MHz
    17: 1200 MHz
    27: 1450 Mhz
    29: 1500 MHz

7. Peter G

Peter G Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Yes, the MoCA range is form 1125-1625 MHz I think. The OP could try setting all devices to channel 15; this would have best chance of working with the Commscope amp.

8. rileychp

rileychp New Member

Sep 21, 2016
    Thank you all for your help!

Does anyone know if I have Comcast install the X1 Boxes and then return them if they might switch out their Commscope amp for one more compatible or do their boxes operate on a lower frequency? Is it something I should purchase on my own and if so does anyone have any recommended models?

Also what about the second splitter, I assume this also has to be high frequency?

9. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    There are 2 versions of that amp with the same product number, one has a small "VOIP" label on the far right, the other one has a small yellow "MoCA" label and is reported to pass MoCA. Comcast also uses a PPC 5 WAY SIGNAL BOOSTER EVO1-5-U/U (Blue label version only) which will pass the MoCA frequencies. Either of these amps will need a MoCA filter. Many PCT branded amps have a MoCA filter builtin.
    If Comcast can provide a decent signal, you may not need an amp at all. If you go with replacing any standard splitters, consider the MoCA rated ones from Verizon or Holland, these have demonstrated the most positive results for MoCA setups. Many splitters rated from 2-3GHz fail on MoCA systems at a similar rate to lower rated splitters.
    Your cable modem has a builtin MoCA filter.

10. rileychp

rileychp New Member

Sep 21, 2016
    I had Comcast activate the cable on Thursday after getting everything set up as shown in the diagram and it is working!

Thank you for all your feedback.

I did have a couple of questions though that came up after setup.

I purchased a Holland POE filter and installed it on the incoming line at the amp with the female side to the amp and the male side to the incoming line. With it setup this way, my tv worked fine but my modem could not connect. I switched the direction of the filter with a jumper and connector so the male end faced the amp and the female end faced the incoming and the modem was able to connect again.
    Is this how this was suppose to work with the filter? Is the filter doing anything with it being backwards?

Also the channel changing on the Mini's is kinda slow, about 5-7 seconds. For Splitter 2 I used the one provided by Comcast. Would a better splitter here help or is there anything else that might help?

11. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Interesting, MoCA filters by design are supposed to be bi-directional, i.e., they work in either direction. Is that Holland filter from Tivo, is it one of those rated for 70dB? I recall reading a post about a tech who tested MoCA filters for bi-directivity and discarded any which failed.
    If you dig into the settings, the Tivo has a place where the MoCA throughput is shown, this would tell you if it is low or not. It is possible a MoCA rated splitter might give slightly better performance, but unless you are seeing pixelation or loosing connection intermittently, probably not.
    Minis do have a couple seconds of delay in my experience, but 5-7 seconds seems a bit long.

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  13. kazak99

kazak99 Member

Feb 9, 2015
    I have tested/timed changing the channel on my Mini (v2) using both ethernet and MoCA connections. Channel changes, in both cases, takes my Mini about 5 seconds. My host DVR was not in standby mode.

krkaufman likes this.
  14. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    I have a TiVo Bolt and Mini S1, and currently they're communicating using the Bolt as a Moca Bridge. Lately the Mini picture has been pixelating lots. (usually pixelated lines across the screen but occasionally the whole screen). On some channels more than others. At first I attributed it to a bad signal from Charter, but when I view the picture off of the Bolt, it looks absolutely perfect. Now I'm wondering if it's some sort of Moca flakiness. Right now the Moca settings are set to "auto" on the Bolt. Is it better to choose a specific setting and leave it? Would an wireless ethernet adapter work better on the mini than Moca?

Or is the issue probably something else entirely?

15. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Do you have multiple Minis or HDMI cables that would allow you to swap-out components to check other possibilities? What about other HDMI ports on the TV?

As for MoCA, it seems like people experience disconnections when MoCA is having issues. What is the Mini reporting for MoCA stats (PHY rates and power estimates), via the Network Status screen?