Setting up a Moca Network with Verizon Fios 150 mbps from ONT via ethernet

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Jonathan Dornblaser, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Feb 2, 2017 #1 of 11
    Jonathan Dornblaser

Jonathan Dornblaser New Member

Feb 2, 2017
    Hi. I am having trouble setting up my Moca network with my new tivo bolt. I have verizon fios internet which is directly connected to my quantum gateway router via ethernet (no coax going into my router). I want to set my tivo bolt up as a moca bridge and I keep getting the C33 error. I've confirmed that all of my splitters are 1675mhz and above. The bolt is connect to my router via ethernet. Tivo say that it is because there is no coax going into the back of my router, but would not offer a solution of how to fix the issue. I suspect that I need a hub/switch somewhere or maybe a moca hub would work? Before I go out an buy anything, i wanted to see if anyone else had that issue or is knowledgeable in that moca arena to help me set up the network. Thanks!

2. Feb 2, 2017 #2 of 11
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    As I posted to your other entry...
    'gist: The error message, itself, is erroneous. If you check the network status dialog, you should see that your BOLT is configured for "Ethernet+MoCA."

3. Feb 2, 2017 #3 of 11
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  4. Feb 2, 2017 #4 of 11
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The remaining portion of my post to your other entry, unrelated to the erroneous C33 message...

The unknown is whether your Mini is connected to the same coax lines as your BOLT. If it is, you can try configuring the Mini with "Connect using MoCA" option once the MoCA network has been established by the BOLT.

Oh, also, you'd want to get a "PoE" MoCA filter installed on the first splitter encountered by the coax line coming from the FiOS ONT. The "PoE" MoCA filter isn't needed for security on FiOS installs, but it would provide a MoCA LAN performance improvement.​

More info on "PoE" MoCA filters >here<. Plus an example >here<.

5. Feb 2, 2017 #5 of 11
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Note that even if you're using Ethernet for your WAN connection to your FiOS gateway, you *could* connect coax to the gateway if you wished to leverage the gateway for establishing your MoCA network. (NOTE: Just NOT at the same time you have the BOLT creating your MoCA network!)

What model number is your FiOS gateway?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  6. Feb 3, 2017 #6 of 11
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    The FIOS installer decided to "skimp" and save some time by not running a coax to your Verizon router since you weren't using their boxes which require a MoCA LAN connection. If you knew better, you might have never run into this issue by having both coax and Ethernet run to the Verizon G1100. Not sure why Verizon chooses to call the G1100 a "gateway", this terminology is normally used for combo modem/router/telephony equipment. The G1100 is just a router, period.
    if you can get Ethernet from the router to the Bolt, you should be able to get it working by using the MoCA "bridge" setting.

7. Feb 3, 2017 #7 of 11
    Jonathan Dornblaser

Feb 2, 2017
    So I just connect my Quantum Router coax to the internal coax and the TIVO was successful in setting up the MOCA (no C33 error) however I was not able to connect the tivo mini to the network. Also, when I connect the coax to the router, the internet stopped working. (i.e. wifi I could see the network, but not connect and tivo could not connect to the service) Any idea why? (cross posted here)

8. Feb 3, 2017 #8 of 11
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    See:
    • Here ("NOTE: Just NOT at the same time you have the BOLT creating your MoCA network!")
    • Here
    You'll want to disable MoCA on the BOLT if you're using the G1100 to create your MoCA network, and if the BOLT is connected to the G1100 via an Ethernet cable. The BOLT should be configured for an Ethernet-only connection.

Alternatively, and this would be a worthwhile thing to test, disconnect the Ethernet cable from the BOLT and configure the BOLT for a MoCA client connection. This would prove that the G1100's MoCA network is functioning. (Note that you may first need to disable MoCA on the BOLT before you can then configure the BOLT for a client-only MoCA connection.)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  9. Feb 3, 2017 #9 of 11
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Given previous comments, this isn't unexpected. You'd already demonstrated that the BOLT was creating a MoCA network. The mystery, as you stated previously, is whether the Mini's coax outlet connects back to the coax lines feeding the BOLT (and now G1100) -- and without obstructions or incompatible components.

p.s. Also, see your parallel thread here on TCF, >starting here<, for the previous troubleshooting suggestions possibly missed owing to multiple threads.

10. Jonathan Dornblaser

Feb 2, 2017
    Well after all that I am pleased to report it is working!! All I had to do was connect a coax into the back of the G1100 which then created the MOCA network for me. Put the bolt into client mode and let the tivo mini find it on the moca. So happy right now :) Thank you krkaufman for all your help. If you don't work for tivo... they should start paying you!

11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yeah, except I think fcfc2 put you back onto the G1100 track. ;)

Glad it's working, regardless. You may want to check & document the Mini's MoCA stats, as a reference.