Setpal boxes to stop working?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by TheBear, Jul 26, 2008.

1. TheBear

TheBear Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Cornwall
    It seems that Setpal boxes will shortly stop working, if not already:

http://www.freeview.co.uk/help/faq/id104963

It seems that the boxes will be permanently borked, unless you block channel updates.

2. cleudo

cleudo New Member

Apr 7, 2002
    Scotland
    Hmm, I'm in the stv central area & I've recently done a channel update.

Everything still seems ok so far...

(tempting fate I know...)

3. Davyburns

Davyburns New Member

Jan 7, 2004
    North East...
    I'm In Tyne Tees, and have had no issues yet. (again, tempting fate)

4. bhedge

bhedge New Member

Mar 20, 2005
    Newcastle...
    I'm in Tyneside and my Setpal has died.

5. gadgetgaz

gadgetgaz New Member

Dec 31, 2002
    Billingley,...
    Thebear you said "It seems that the boxes will be permanently borked, unless you block channel updates."

I couldn't find any information that states it is channel updates that will break. Could you point me towards this information please?

My Daewoo DS608P is still working tonight even though South Yorkshire was listed as being upgraded today.

6. Ian_m

Ian_m Active Member

Jan 9, 2001
    Southampton,...
    I think also there is a software version issue involved as well. I have seen reports where someone with two SetPal boxes, and only the one without the latest software stopped working. The other one is working fine.

7. Ian_m

Ian_m Active Member

Jan 9, 2001
    Southampton,...
    Dug around a bit more.

If you do a rescan of channels the SetPal box will lose one or more muxes and their associated channels and never get them back.

If you leave alone and never re-scan it will carry on working fine, but you will not be able to receive any new services.

So what would people recomend as a replacement box ?

Philips DTR220 was mentioned somewhere ?

8. DeadKenny

DeadKenny New Member

Nov 9, 2002
    Woking, UK
    I'm a bit out of touch with Freeview but I thought most were Setpal these days?

Anyway, don't do Freeview myself but did for a short while. Donated the box to my parents for them to use when the switch over occurs in Devon, but looks like it's that Daewoo DS608P :(

9. Aug 1, 2008 #9 of 69
    kitschcamp

kitschcamp Tweaked and poked

May 18, 2001
    Adelaide,...
    Same thing here, got both my parents and the inlaws a setpal box a couple of years ago, as we were so pleased with the signal quality, etc. Now we need to advise them what to get.

10. DeadKenny

DeadKenny New Member

Nov 9, 2002
    Woking, UK
    I suspect they may be surprised when they claim only 1% are affected and less than that because few have called them about it, especially when the complaints come in. I'd have thought a lot were setpal if they were bought in the last few years. More than 1% surely.

11. gadgetgaz

gadgetgaz New Member

Dec 31, 2002
    Billingley,...
    Well, I read this information and thought, "OK there's no rush as long as I don't do a channel rescan". Then, there was a thunder storm and the power was cut off!
    My Daewoo is faulty anyway since it loses all its memory after a power shutdown, so I had to attempt a rescan and all the channels came back as normal. It's been 3 days since my area was supposed to have been updated.
    I emailed Freeview and complained about having to buy a new box just to keep up with the "standard" and they just sent me a scripted reply about how the updates were necessary and how to buy a new digibox. Vey helpful - NOT.

12. DeadKenny

DeadKenny New Member

Nov 9, 2002
    Woking, UK
    I know the boxes are only £20 or so, but still it sucks that they can render a receiver obsolete when the digital switch over hasn't even completed. Not that it affects me directly, but still.

If it's only 1%, they can surely afford to just replace the box for free for those few.

13. terryeden

terryeden TiVo, Tivum, Tiva,

Nov 2, 2002
    Surrey
    Bugger. Accidentally did a rescan and now it's borked. DON'T RESCAN YOUR SETPALS!

I'll try ringing Daewoo.... But I could do with a new box today...

14. jeremy Parsons

jeremy Parsons Very Advanced Member

Jan 6, 2002
    Surrey
    I have had 3 sepal receivers and they all died about 6 months ago what is the reccomended replacemnt that deals witha power outage?

15. OzSat

OzSat Very Nice Moderator

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Its a poor show when recent DTT boxes fail as they are no longer up to spec.

My Philips ONdigital box, which I got before the official launch of ONdigital, survived the NIT changes.

16. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Ditto here. Day one Philips DTX 6370 box still going strong at my Mum's place after nearly 10 years. But then the construction quality of those boxes was very good and the final OnDigital software very robust (even if the box may be a tad slow to change channels, especially when jumping from a 16QAM to 64QAM Mux or vica versa).

However as I got my Mum Sky Pay Once Watch Forever last November its now only mainly used if needing to watch Virgin1, Dave, Sky Sports News, TMF or The Hits. This is mainly only by me when I visit.

Returning to the OP's question I suspect the Sony Freeview box would be the best bet now if you can find one on Ebay.

17. terryeden

Nov 2, 2002
    Surrey
    I bought the Wharfedale LPDV832B from Argos - only £25.
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5320936/Trail/searchtext%3EFREEVIEW.htm

It works very well, seems to get a better signal than my SetPal. You can disable the software scan, but not the channel scan as far as I can see. MHEG can't be disabled.

Seems as quick as the SetPal when changing channel. The default code of 20030 fast works with no errors (so far).

I haven't tested to see if it comes on after a power cut - but if it's on standby, entering a number DOESN'T wake it up.

It also has a very bright LED display showing the current channel number. Handy if you want a vauge idea of what it's recording!

18. AMc

AMc Active Member

Mar 22, 2002
    East of England
    Do you get any sound dropouts with the "low power" Wharfedale LPDV832B?
    That's the only real issue I have with my older version - picture quality is excellent and reliability is also good and it deals with our under powered signal well
    I keep Tivo and it's STB on a £30 uninterupted power supply so restarts aren't a problem.

19. terryeden

Nov 2, 2002
    Surrey
    I've not noticed any - but it's been on less than 24 hours. The signal strength seems very good though. I'll check some recordings tonight.

I think it comes with version 0.3 of the firmware, if that helps.

EDIT: Firmware update being broadcast next week http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/download_schedule.pl
    May solve sound dropouts.

20. AMc

AMc Active Member

Mar 22, 2002
    East of England
    According to my DV832BN(2) box I'm on v1.13 and they're broadcasting a repeat of v2.14
    I wonder what the difference will be, there is zero information about Wharfedale on the web as it appears to be a rebadged Vestel box and their site is...

I've set myself a reminder to initiate the download on Wed the 13th Aug and see what gives - thanks for the heads up.