SETPAL Box has died :-(

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by smiffy, Jul 10, 2009.

1. smiffy

smiffy internetentrepreneur

Mar 6, 2002
    Essex, UK

Advertisements

My SETPAL box has just stopped working. It says that it can no longer find any channels.

I know that I don't have a cabling problem as the aerial loops through to the digital TV.

I know there was supposed to be a problem when we finally switched over to 8k, but im in the Anglia area and don't switch for quite sometime.

So I suppose I have two questions, can I update the SetPal DTT 100 AGD so that it continues to work?

If I need a new set top box what should I buy for my Tivo?

2. DX30

DX30 New Member

May 22, 2005
    I'm afraid you have just encountered the Setpal split-nit bug. The Setpal boxes are unable to cope with a broadcast change made a few months ago, the symptom being if a retune is attempted it is unable to find any channels. Since Setpal are no more there will never be an update to fix this and I'm afraid it is now a doorstop.

3. kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    One of my relatives had this happen after a power outage. He ended up get a Wharfdale to replace it.

4. britcub

britcub Bear with a TiVo

Jan 19, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    The Astratec TOPD3 seems a good replacement for me - and can be found for about £16, which is a bargain. Just wish they'd implement an option to not look for updates on it :)

5. smiffy

smiffy internetentrepreneur

Mar 6, 2002
    Essex, UK

Advertisements

Are there Astratec codes in the Tivo for the TOPD3?

thanks

6. britcub

britcub Bear with a TiVo

Jan 19, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Yep, Humax 20046 codes work fine.