Seth McFarlane

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by jilter, Dec 20, 2011.

1. jilter

jilter Not.

Oct 4, 2002
    I considered bumping a thread from 2008 when he signed a 100 million contract with Fox, but I don't think it is relevant.

Disclaimer:
    I have no personal awareness and knowledge of any current animated show except what I learn from my teen-age sons, so I speak from complete ignorance. Until recently I confused McFarlane with Trey Parker or Matt Stone.

I caught McFarlane on Conan last night and Conan asked him if the rumors are true that Family Guy is going to end.
    McFarlane said absolutely not. By reading the old thread, I see it was a contract thru 2012, so I see how the rumors got started.

My question though is this:
    They talked last night about McFarlane being nominated for a Grammy....?
    What is this about? He sings?! Well enough to earn a Grammy nomination?!

Learn something new everyday.

2. fmowry

fmowry Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
  3. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    He has an album of Sinatra-like music. It's pretty good.

Family Guy isn't going anywhere. FOX hasn't been able to get a non-McFarlane animated show to not get canceled in years. There were rumors that American Dad was getting the axe and they even created a series finale. The show got picked up. They still aired the finale as a regular episode (The Hot Tub one)

4. Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    I generally detest singing in cartoons (Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad, etc), but I did actually like "Christmastime is Killing Us" from last years FG xmas show.

5. Bob_Newhart

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    ugh, I'm glad they didn't end the great AD with that lame ass episode.

6. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Interesting.
    When he plugged his CD on Adam Carolla, I pretty much wrote it off as a vanity project (not unlike Eddie Murphy's music CD).
    Not thought that he was a bad singer though, just simply that I doubted that the music world would take it seriously.

I have to admit that I'm surprised by the Grammy nomination so I guess I was wrong.

One thing I remember McFarlane talking about was on how he insisted that the recording be done totally with analog equipment to keep the flavor.
    No digital recording studio for him.

7. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    IMO, that was one of the best episodes of the series.

8. Bob_Newhart

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    :(

9. Fleegle

Fleegle Chef-In-Training

Jan 15, 2002
    The musical episodes are fine once in awhile, but Seth McFarlane has been making them more and more frequent. It's getting annoying.

10. MLR930

MLR930 Mandie

Dec 26, 2002
    Rhode Island
    He's also one lucky man: on 9/11 he was 10 minutes late for his flight and the plane he was supposed to be on crashed into WTC.

11. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    He can sing. I don't usually go for most of the musical pieces in FG, simply because they are usually so ridiculously stoopid, but I do have one fav musical segment...when they were all in the car and sang 'The Rose'. Not only being able to sing, but to be able to sing beautifully as Peter Griffin - that's not so bad. :D

12. NJChris

NJChris Kermie Loves Elmo TCF Club

May 11, 2001
    Huntington...
    The Bird..... is the word....

13. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    The scarey thing about him is that he wants to do a new version of the Flintstones, and just the other day I read he also wants to do his own version of some other old favorite (the title of which excapes me).

14. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Bob's Burgers.

FG is too popular to get cancelled (Fox learned this one the hard way...twice); it also makes far too much money for the show (I read somewhere that the only scripted shows on network TV - not just Fox - that bring in more advertising money are Glee and The Simpsons).

15. Scarpad

Scarpad Member

Dec 7, 2000
    Western Ma
    I think the Flintstones is a go, unfortunately. Leave the old classics alone, I don't need to see a profane Fred and Barney

16. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    I'm waiting for him to get into live action remakes.

Can you imagine what he'd do with LEAVE IT TO BEAVER?

17. pendragn

pendragn Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2001
    Ames Iowa
    It's interesting hearing him talk about it. He's very blasé about it. He doesn't think he's lucky or that there was a higher power saving him or anything. He's just perpetually late and it really paid off this one time. :)

tk

18. Gromit

Gromit Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 1999
    Atlanta, GA
    There was a gag on one of his recent shows about "that guy", who has to dwell on the fact that his life was saved because he was late for work that day. Everyone else gives him the evil eye for making such a big deal about it.

19. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    I really hope BB's stays, probably one of my favorite shows in the last few years. The kids are freaking HILARIOUS!

20. Bob_Newhart

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    I had really high hopes for Bob Burger because I've always liked the fella who voices Bob, but this show never did it for me. It's certainly not Allen Gregory bad, but I never found it very funny. And for me, the main reason is I don't find the kids funny at all. I would probably like this show better if they dumped the kids and got Bob a couple of funny adult friends.