Set-Up Process Confirmation

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by HDTivoUser, Apr 23, 2018.

1. HDTivoUser

HDTivoUser Early Adopter

May 2, 2005
    Virginia

Advertisements

Hi all.....I've made the decision to quit DirecTV and go back to TiVo via Verizon FiOS. I wanted to make a post detailing how I think the upgrade transition path should proceed so that in the event I am incorrect....I can learn before my scheduled FiOS installation (this Friday the 27th).

First....my current set-up. I have DirecTV with a Genie2 server (HS-17) and 5 Genie Minis....2 of them are 4k and 2 of them are wireless. I already have coax running to 3 of the TVs.

For my initial FiOS installation, I asked that 5 set-top boxes be installed. I believe that this was a requirement for them to make sure that coax was running to all of my TV and to set-up the MoCA network (I have Verizon FiOS Gigabit).

After the installation is completed, I plan on getting a CableCARD from Verizon. (I will return the 5 set-top boxes upon successful activation of CableCARD and installation of TiVo boxes.)

I've ordered a TiVO Bolt VOX and 4 TiVo Mini VOXs from Tivo. I also ordered the POE filter (which I believe will be installed between the ONT and the "home run" splitter).

My plan is to install the TiVO Bolt VOX first and connect it to the existing MoCA network. Then I will roll back the software to the previous TiVo Experience (Encore). Next I will install each of the TiVo Mini VOXs.

Are there any steps I am missing or other suggestions to make this transition as smooth as possible?

Thanks!

kpeters59 likes this.
  2. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    If your FiOS system is creating the MoCA network, you will not need to install a POE filter anywhere - that is their responsibility (and probably built into the ONT).

Also, make sure you configure the Bolt as a MoCA client, not a bridge.

HDTivoUser likes this.
  3. HDTivoUser

HDTivoUser Early Adopter

May 2, 2005
    Virginia
    Good to know.....thank you for the info.

4. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Are you getting the Bolt+ with 6 tuners or the Bolt with 4 tuners? I'm asking since you are getting 4 Mini's. Not sure what your use case is but you want to make sure you have enough tuners available (Bolt will reserve 1 for itself and keep in mind the number of simultaneous recordings you might have going on). If you are like us and rarely watch live TV, then it may not be an issue. :)

Scott

5. HDTivoUser

HDTivoUser Early Adopter

May 2, 2005
    Virginia

Advertisements

Sorry....I should have specified....3 TB/6 tuners.