Set Up Issues: Connecting the Tivo Premiere to Dvd/Vcr Combo and Tuning Adapter

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by mehndi1, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Nov 4, 2011 #1 of 10
    mehndi1

mehndi1 New Member

Nov 4, 2011
    I want to connect my Tivo premiere to my dvd/vcr combo machine. I, also, have a series 2 and that set up was fine, but the premiere does not have as many composite connections. In addition, I have Time Warner which requires me to have a Tuning Adapter, so I now need to connect the DVD/VCR, Tuning Adapter, Tivo Premiere, and my sd TV. I have tried various set ups and none seems to work. After googling this issue, I learned about Y adapters. At this point, I am frustrated and more clueless than when I began. Any help is much appreciated.

2. Nov 4, 2011 #2 of 10
    lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    You're going to have to be more specific about what you are trying to accomplish and the capabilities of your hardware. There's easily a dozen different ways that combination of devices can be connected together.

3. Nov 4, 2011 #3 of 10
    mehndi1

mehndi1 New Member

Nov 4, 2011
    I am trying to hook up my Vcr/dvd combo unit to my Tivo Premiere. I have TWC. Currently, the Premiere, Tuning Adapter and TV are connected together. I want to add my Vcr/dvd unit to this set up. I want to be able to watch dvd movies and record previously recorded tivo content to the vcr/dvd combo unit. I was able to do this with my series 2. Now that I have a Premiere, I found that the Premiere does not have as many component connections to easily allow this.

4. Nov 4, 2011 #4 of 10
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Usually, we connect the Tivo hd (or premiere, in your case) to a HDTV using HDMI or component (blue/green/red with audio white/red). Adding a DVD Recorder would be component, if the TV is using the HDMi, and vice versa, from the Tivo output and to another unused TV input.

If the TV has only 1 input, you can use a switch for the 2 outputs.

5. Nov 5, 2011 #5 of 10
    lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Well, that's a bit more specific, but still not very thorough. Are you wanting to be able to tune (presumably analog) channels from your CATV provider on your VCR/DVD? If not, then forget about the TA. The TA provides SDV access for the TiVo, and won't have anything to do with the VCR/DVD or the TV. Since your TV is SD, there's no problem with feeding it directly from the VCR/DVD. In the simplest deployment, the only piece of the puzzle missing may be the VCR/DVD. What sort of inputs does it have? It also may be that you desire a more complex set up, but we can't tell that from your response.

If you do want to tune analog channels from the CATV system on your VCR/DVD, it's a different matter. Again, you need to be a bit more specific about exactly what you want to accomplish.

6. Nov 6, 2011 #6 of 10
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Do you want to feed the output of the TiVo into the input of the DVD/VCR, or do you want to feed the output of the DVD/VCR into the TiVo?

What's the brand and model number of that DVD/VCR, by the way?

Does the DVD/VCR have a tuner or tuners, old-style analog broadcast/cable or new style digital over the air and/or digital cable, or both?

My condolences on being a fellow TWC victim.

Do you want the Tivo to be able to control the Switched Digital Video (SDV) tuning adapter?

Do you want to direct the output of the SDV tuning adapter to the DVD/VCR as well, or just to the TiVo?

7. Dec 9, 2011 #7 of 10
    kemscm

kemscm New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    I have a very similar question. I have an old tv, which still works fine, and am hooking up a Premiere to replace my Series 2. (Wish I could just get a new Series 2, but oh well....)

I want to connect it this way: cable --> Tivo --> DVD/VCR --> TV so that I can watch either live TV (through the Tivo) or recorded shows from the Tivo or the DVD/VCR. I'd also like to be able to record from Tivo to the DVD, but I don't care about high quality. I'd rather just push it straight from the Tivo to the DVD than to have to take it to my computer and mess with all that. I do not need to use the DVD/VCR machine as a tuner.

My TV has video and S-video inputs. My DVD/VCR has all kinds of outputs, but only plain video (red/white/yellow) or s-video inputs. So, I am thinking I should just connect it all through the red/white/yellows. Is there any reason this won't work?

8. Dec 9, 2011 #8 of 10
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You can connect via yellow/white/red output but the quality would not be so great and to watch from Tivo, you have to have the DVD on.

Another way is to use a video switch to switch your outputs to a single TV input.

9. Dec 9, 2011 #9 of 10
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Cable to splitter. Splitter to antenna/RF input of television (I assume you still get analog cable channels) and to cable input of Premiere. Rabbit ears to antenna input of Premiere.

Will your (I assume tunerless) DVD/VCR combo unit output what's coming in to its inputs if it's not recording? Or can you put a blank DVD in there and put it on record and have it on pause forever? (A VCR tape on pause will not remain on pause indefinitely to prevent head and tape wear)

If so, if your TV has only 2 input choices, either its own tuner or 1 auxilliary input where the video is either composite (yellow jack) or S-Video, but not both, then:

S-Video from DVD/VCR to TV, along with white and red audio.

S-Video and white/red audio from TiVo to DVD/VCR

If any of my above assumptions are incorrect, enlighten me and I'll revise my advice accordingly.

10. kemscm

kemscm New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    Thank you both very much! Once the cable guy comes with the M-card, I'll make this go live and see if it works. I appreciate your taking the time to help me.