Set Tivo recording from Phone App-Issue

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by OrangeTurtle, Nov 18, 2018.

1. OrangeTurtle

OrangeTurtle Member

Jul 17, 2015

Advertisements

I go to record a show from my phone (ios)and it schedules the recording as it always has, BUT now it seems to be recording just the SD the channel, not the HD one.

Stumped by this, I double checked this the next time I set a recording and confirmed it was set for the HD version and STILL the SD version was recorded. When it comes to channels available on my guide, the SD aren't even on there as I removed them.

I'm not positive, but I think this problem started after my app was forced to update.

Any Idea what is going on and/or how to fix this? I like the ability to set a recording when away from home.

Thanks in advance!

2. osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    It’s the app.
    I’ve had the same problem recording nascar off nbc sports net. Setting the timer from the app and it shows to be recording the SD channel and that is what it records on, even though the timer was set on the HD channel. If I use my slingbox or am home and set the timer from the TiVo itself, it will show to be recording the HD channel and that is what gets recorded.

3. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Happened to me too with a CNBC show. Set a recording for the HD channel (I don’t even have the SD channel checked in my list) and it recorded on the SD channel. Makes having the app worthless.

4. OrangeTurtle

OrangeTurtle Member

Jul 17, 2015
    OK, so this is not just limited to my experience. Thank you for sharing this. Looks like I should not have updated the app on my phone.

Next thing, can anything be done to fix this?

5. ClayKY

ClayKY Member

Aug 23, 2005
    KY

Advertisements

Definitely an app issue that TiVo is in no hurry to fix. Shocking, I know.

6. dishrich

dishrich Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    Glad someone else FINALLY posted about this issue...& it's ALSO happening to us Andriod folks. :eek:
    BUT, NOT only am I having this same problem on my Comcast cable Tivo Pro...I'm having a (slightly) similar, but even MORE problematic issue on my (2) Tivo OTA units:

I'll attempt to set a recording on one of my local network affiliates; however, after I've set it, INSTEAD of trying to record the show on the channel I selected, it chooses to set the recording to pick a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT channel#, that just happens to be running the same show at the same time, but the channel(s) it picks from, are NOT even receivable in my area!!! (usually the lowest available channel that was downloaded on initial setup) While they are in the (large) pre-loaded list of local stations that were downloaded when the Tivo's were setup, NONE are in my CIG lists. (why WOULD I put them in my CIG, since they could NOT possibly be receivable in my area) If I attempt to immediately setup another recording on the same, exact show, it goes to the next, lowest, channel running the same show - AGAIN, NOT in my CIG list! I've done this multiple times while at home on cellular data (so it simulates me being OFF my local network) & I watch it happen right on my Tivo's.

Before the last app update, I had NO problems setting up recordings on ANY of my 3 Tivo's. I'm even more surprised that I haven't seen anyone else post this issue re: OTA channels...because it's more serious than just getting an SD version of the show - you get NO show recorded!!!
    Seriously, Rovi has to have THE most incompetent people running this place...at least the ones that shoved out this obviously F'ED UP app update! :mad:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  7. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Hopefully everyone has opened tickets with TiVo on this issue? My ancient Android tablet doesn't support the new version of the app so can't play yet. Maybe Black Friday or Cyber Monday will offer up a cheap replacement. :)

Scott

8. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I used my Samsung Android tablet to record an HD channel (CNBC) and it appear correctly in my TDL. The SD version is not checked in my channel list. This looks like a new app, but it still showed 4.1.

9. PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Appearing in the to do list correctly is how it worked for me but it didn’t record the correct channel. Try it with a show that’s in progress now, not a future show.

10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It hasn't been noted, but I'm using TE3. I can't duplicate the problem. I am using the app and have a Stream.

11. PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I’m using TE3 as well and this happened to me.

12. ctall

ctall New Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Same problem here. App records unchecked SD channels instead of the HD channel it was set to record. Is calling Tivo and attempting to explain the problem to a rep the only way to open a ticket?

13. tampa8

tampa8 Official Tivo User

Jan 25, 2016
    Ct & FL
    I am not having those problems on my Samsung Android phones, and my OTA Tivo Roamio. don't know why some are and some are not. I record off the favorites list.

14. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    There's email & chat. That may just get you told to call.

Tivo Customer Support Community

15. osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    It happened to us a few weeks ago, while my dad was trying to record the Nascar races on NBCSN. That tivo is on TE3 with both an iphone Xr, Ipad Pro and Moto G5S+ trying to set a recording from our vacation property in Las Vegas on tivo roamio in Oklahoma. After the first week recorded in SD, I went to my dads house and reset everything and tried setting a timer for the next week with my phone and it still showed recording the SD channel. I deleted it and set it with the remote while I was there and it set and recorded on the HD channel. They have been home for a week, so I haven't seen any other instances as haven't needed to use the app.

16. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Not wanting to stray, but the Android app seems to be in Live Guide mode. Is there a way to get it to Grid Guide?

17. PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Not that I'm aware of, mine is live guide style on iOS. I just wish there was a way to roll back to the previous version but you cannot.

18. johnfasc

johnfasc Active Member

Dec 24, 2014
    I had the same issue. Here's the fix. Go to....apkmirror and in the search put in TiVo 3.2.5
    I downloaded to my tablet and I was back in business. Then DO NOT update that app. Till they fix it.

UCLABB likes this.
  19. PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    That looks like it only works for Android, I couldn’t find an iOS app for TiVo there (applies to Orange Turtle also who is on iOS too).

20. johnfasc

johnfasc Active Member

Dec 24, 2014
    Sorry that is for Android, forgot to mention that!