Service upgrade (cost)

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Deanq4, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Deanq4

Deanq4 TiVo Lover!

Sep 30, 2005
    Forest Grove OR
    Hello,

I am wanting to upgrade to a TiVoHD in the next few months, I currently have a series 2 that I absolutely love, but want HD when I get the TV. I have no other TV's in the house and have no reason to keep the series 2 once I get the HD one up and running (we only watch TV in one room right now)

I was wondering, I know the cost of tivo service has changed in the past two years and I am month to month on mine now (wishing I did a lifetime.. oh well) and I would like to know if I can change TiVo's but keep the same price (like you can at times with a cell phone, you know get a new phone but keep an old plan). I know $4 a month or so is not a big deal, but it would be great to not have to sign a 3 year contract to get the same price.

Question #2
    If I did keep the old TiVo and added the second one (getting the MSD) does the TiVo HAVE to stay in the same house? Can I leave it at say... our beach house (if we had one) and not have TiVo know/care? Namely, does the subscription for MSD have to be connecting for TiVo from the same IP or can it be from multiple ones?

Thanks
    Dan

2. jbernardis

jbernardis Active Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ
    To answer Q2, that's exactly what I'm doing. I have two S3's in my main house - one on a 3 year prepay, and the second on the 6.95 MSD plan. In my beach house In have a TivoHD on the same account and also for the $6.95 MSD rate. TiVo even knows about this because the units show different channel line-ups when I do on-line scheduling.

3. RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA
    I believe the TiVo terms & conditions for MSD state that the units must be at the same physical address however from what I have heard they haven't enforced it.

4. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    You can easily buy a new TiVoHD and switch the TSN online. It will deactivate your old S2 and your new box will use the same service as before (w/ no new contract). The whole process takes about 2 minutes.

5. Deanq4

Deanq4 TiVo Lover!

Sep 30, 2005
    Forest Grove OR

2 minutes... geez... that is way too long for me. I guess I will have to hire someone to do it. :D

If I add a second TiVo will it be $6.95 like my old contract, or will it be $10.95 the new price??

Thanks

6. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    If you SWAP boxes with an existing contract, you keep the same price and terms (e.g. transfer the service on the S2 to a THD).

If you ADD a Tivo, your pricing will be $6 per month off whatever the monthly pricing is for the term (1, 2, 3 years) you select. If you are signed on to Manage My Account, the pricing will be automatically reflected during the activation process.