Service transfer

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by hunter69, May 16, 2007.

1. hunter69

hunter69 New Member

Feb 9, 2002

Advertisements

Need some info please.

I have 4 TIVOs (3 S2 and 1 S1) all with lifetime subs. One of my S2s just died and I know that TIVO will let me transfer my sub to another S2, but can I buy a S2DT from Ebay and transfer to that model?

Thanks for any insight.

Hunter

2. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    Sorry but you cannot transfer lifetime subscriptions to new boxes unless they were purchased before some date in Feb of 2000. I'll guess that yours were after that since you joined here in '02. When were the lifetimes purchased?

It's probably just the hard drive that broke and you could fix it instead of getting a new box.

3. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    Are you sure this is correct? TiVo does not allow transfer of lifetime subs. If you send the unit to them to be fixed I think they might do it then (assuming they send a refurb back).

Edit - Curses, beaten to the punch again!

4. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    TiVo has transferred lifetime subs from defective units to new ones in the past
    The fly in the ointment here is that it has to be the same model. It is iomprobable they will transfer from a single tuner to a double tuner. Never hurts to ask but ....

5. hunter69

hunter69 New Member

Feb 9, 2002

Advertisements

It was the HD that died, and I will end up replacing it if I have to but was hoping to make the jump to the duel tuner.

My Sony S1 just missed the transfer cutoff date. As one of the other posters noted, I belive that Tivo used to let people transfer a lifetime sub to a model of the same type, and was wondering if the S2DT was considered the same model since they are both series 2.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

6. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    Just for clarity - a single tuner and a dual tuner are not the same model. technically the 240 and 540 are not the same model but they might let that slide since both are single tuner series 2.

best bet is to follow up on replacing the hard drive like it seems you are getting ready to do.

7. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    They will if the TiVo is obtained as part of a service deal (as in repair or warranty) from them or the manufacturer of your TiVo.

They will not transfer Lifetime on any box you go buy.

8. wdwms

wdwms Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Just transferred a Lifetime from an S1 (post 1/20/2000) to an S3.. no issues.. $199

Did this about a week ago..

9. stujac

stujac Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Ok-waking up this thread-I saw an S2 on craigslist with an 802 wireless adapter, for $40. Can I buy that and change the TSN online-will I then be transferring my lifetime from the S1 to the new (old) S2?

Thanks in advance

10. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    No, that will not work. The online ap will reject the change.

11. stujac

stujac Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Yeah, figured that. I guess that only works when transferring one lifetime box to another lifetime box, same series.

12. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    No, you can't transfer lifetime from one box to another lifetime box - that doesn't even make sense. the online service number change option only works when transferring a monthly subscription to another unit that doesn't have a subscription.

13. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Even if your Series 1 is eligible to have its Lifetime transferred, you will have to call CSR to transfer it.

If it were me, I wouldn't waste the transfer on a Series 2, except the DT (and maybe not even that. I'd get a TiVoHD, or wait for the next "Series 2" to use that Lifetime transfer on). Just set up the series 1, get it on the account, and activate the Series 2 as monthly MSD.