Service question - adding new HD with MSD

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jtonra, Oct 21, 2007.

1. jtonra

jtonra Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Wilmington,M...

Advertisements

I've read multiple threads on this and I'm still confused so hopefully someone can help. I've currently got three Tivo's: one with lifetime and two with MSD at 6.95 a month. I've just purchased (from Amazon) a new HD. I want to retire one of the monthlys and go monthly on the new one as well. What's the cheapest way for me to do this? If I simply add the new one and drop one of the old ones do I still get the $6.95 rate on the new one? Or do I need to add the new one by changing the service number on one of the existing ones? If it's the later, is that all that's required to "activate" the new unit? I'd appreciate any input.

2. Mikeyis4dcats

Mikeyis4dcats Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2003
    just change the TSN on tivo.com

3. robm15

robm15 New Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Yes, do what Mikey said. Go on the web and transfer the TSN for the Tivo you want to retire and move it to the new HD unit. If your not comfortable with using the website, then call Tivo Customer Service and go to the cancellation department, they did for me no problem. Don't waste your time with a regular customer service rep though.

4. jtonra

jtonra Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Wilmington,M...
    Just curious, is there a price difference one way or the other? I'd prefer to keep the old one running for a couple of weeks but if it's going to cost me to do it I won't.

5. Mikeyis4dcats

Mikeyis4dcats Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2003

Advertisements

no, but once you switch the TSN, the old unit will still operate fully for 7 days.

6. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    If you wish to add the TiVoHD then retire one later, you will have to commit to three years for the new TiVoHD subscription. That might, or might not, be something to consider.

Depending, you may just want to just change the TSN on your account, after you get all the recordings you want transferred. After you cancel it, you can record with it for a while, and view recordings.

7. jtonra

jtonra Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Wilmington,M...
    Thank you. That's an important detail I was unaware of.

8. JPA2825

JPA2825 Member

May 15, 2000
    Ft. Thomas,...
    I'm in a similar situation and wondered why you wouldn't want to transfer the Lifetime to the HD under the current offer (if they'll allow it since it was purchased from Amazon -- which currently there appears to be mixed reports on). For the $199 you'd be spending, you'd get 1 yr. w/ the former Lifetimed S2 and you'd "refresh" the Lifetime by putting it on a new machine that's likely to be obsolete at a later date than the current S2.

Interested in your take.