Service price differences?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by El Gabito, Jul 13, 2020.

1. El Gabito

El Gabito Member

Mar 10, 2004
    Indianapolis...

Advertisements

I need to review my OTA Bolt service, which is $150. I knew that new DVR's had come out so I thought I'd check them out. Service for the Edge is only $70!!! Feels like a rip off to your loyal customers! I assume they just want me to buy a new DVR, but I don't recall this happening in the past. Oh, and lifetime service is only $250!!!

So now the choice is pay $150 to renew my bolt, or pay $600 to get an Edge w/ lifetime.

I suppose the real question is, will TiVo be relevant in four years? The streaming services keep raising prices (SHOCK) and I like the reliability of antenna tv recording locally. But also wouldn't be shocked if Tivo is gone in 3-5 years.

2. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Tivo will be relevant at least thru the ATSC 3.0 OTA conversion. The big OTA networks are going to be around for awhile. If that's what you record and you tend to watch things long after they are recorded go with the Edge you probably have it 7 or 8 years, maybe longer.

wizwor likes this.
  3. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    You have the actual Bolt OTA only, not the Bolt cable OR OTA box? If so that does stink. I saw it with a Roamio OTA only also, they wanted $15 a month.

Note, it was a week or so ago but I saw Edge OTA at Amazon for $100 off, $500 with lifetime (actually 2 left, it's $100 off with either lifetime, 250, yearly, 70, or monthly, 7. And I saw Bolt OTA at Best Buy for $126 clearance price. Specs show the $7 a month subscription. If you have the same model maybe print out and show to Tivo, maybe they will give you the better price? From Best Buy:

• Product Name
      BOLT OTA 1TB DVR & Streaming Player
    • Brand
      TiVo
    • Service Fee
      TiVo OTA service subscription is required. Options include a monthly service plan at 6.99/mo. with a 1-Year commitment, or an Annual service plan at 69.99/year. An All-In service plan is also available for a one-time, single payment of 249.99.

4. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Oh, if you can live with 2 tuners and 500GB drive Channel Master has/had lifetime Edge with those specs for $350. That model was not previously sold in the US. Seems your choices are:

Amazon, lifetime 4 tuner OTA Edge, $500 (or $250 with the cheaper monthly/yearly plans). Only 2 left. Though Amazon they are actually sold by Channel Master.
    Channel Master direct, 2 tuner OTA Edge with lifetime $350.
    Bolt OTA at Best Buy for $126 with the cheaper monthly $7/yearly $70 or lifetime for $250.
    Print out Best Buy terms for the Bolt OTA and negotiate with Tivo. Assuming you have the OTA ONLY Bolt.

Actually if I remember correctly Weaknees had a Roamio OTA only with lifetime for $250 total? And you'd have the benefit of a 3.5" drive and choice of TE3 or TE4. Refurbished though.

TiVo Roamio OTA and Roamio OTA VOX

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    wizwor likes this.
  5. El Gabito

El Gabito Member

Mar 10, 2004
    Indianapolis...

Advertisements

Thanks for the input.

I also saw Weaknees has a special for Roamio OTA w/ lifetime. However I'm worried the Roamio would be slower than what we are used to w/ the Bolt.

My Bolt is CableCard and OTA 1TB. We've been using it Antenna for the last year or so. I still wonder if I could call TiVo and give them the 'ol "WTF?!" - otherwise if I'm going to spend that much money I'm considering looking at Tablo.

6. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007