Series3 Time Warner cable

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by stanbrager, Nov 18, 2015.

1. stanbrager

stanbrager New Member

Jun 23, 2015

Advertisements

My Series 3 box has been working wonders since I got it although Weaknees had to replace the harddrive this year.

Now, I've got a new problem: Tivo has to reboot itself from several times a day. Also noticed that the Cisco Tuning Adapter is flashing. Several times Tivo has said that there was a problem with the Tuning Adapter. I exchanged it for another adapter at Time Warner. It worked well until a few minutes ago, TV said that there was a problem with the Tuning Adapter and rebooted itself.

Anyone have any ideas of what the problem is? Is it with the Series 3 or the Tuning Adapter?

Thanks for any help.

Stan

2. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
  3. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    What she said.

Although don't mistake that for a ringing endorsement of the quality and reliability of the TA.

But TA or not, if it's a Series 2 or Series 3, chances are the caps on the power supply have gone bad, are going bad, or will start going bad any day now.

Re-cap it and eliminate it as a possible source of any problems.

4. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I agree with the above yahoos, but before you go to the time and trouble to replace the capacitors, make sure it's not the Tuning Adapter for the reason that it shouldn't cost you a cent to replace the Tuning Adapter; all the cable companies I know of do not charge extra for them. Either exchange it or try running for a while without the TA connected and see if the problem goes away.

Rule of thumb: Always try the cheapest fix first.

5. darklyte

darklyte Joe

Sep 16, 2003
    New York, NY

Advertisements

I have a series 3 on Time Warner Cable in NYC and just had a similar thing happen to me in the past week. I agree to go the route of least resistance and check TWC's equipment first. For what its worth, if it helps, here's what happened w/ me:

I woke up to find my TiVo in a reboot cycle with the TWC tuner box blinking. My TiVo was in a reboot cycle powering on and off (so a bit worse than yours).

After some troubleshooting I could get it to restart and work fine if there were no cable cards in the box. I eventually got one of them working but putting the 2nd card in it went back to the reboot cycle. Ordered a new CC from TWC and that does the same thing.

I am waiting for a new power supply as others suggested as that seemed to be what is the most likely issue in my case.

What got me partially up and running is... Unplug everything from the back of the unit except the video out and internet, repeat guided setup.

Then if its working, add things one by one repeating guided setup each time. This has worked for me and got me temporarily working on one cable card while I await the PSU replacement. A key thing to note is to repeat guided setup a few times, a pain, but it has made a difference for me. Specifically, after you do it the first time with nothing plugged in, add the tuning adapter to the USB port and do setup again. Then add the cable card.

A more detailed description of what was going on w/ my unit is on the weakness forums on page 32 of the "TiVo Series3 Rebooting and Restarting" thread. It wont let me post a link here, sorry.

6. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If it works with one cable card but not both, or without one but adding one causes problems, it's almost certainly (in an S3) the power supply not being able to handle the additional load, which means the power supply is going bad, which means having to spend at least $10 on the right capacitors.

7. darklyte

darklyte Joe

Sep 16, 2003
    New York, NY
    Thanks, really appreciate the feedback and confirming its likely the PSU! :up:

I have no experience/equipment for soldering and am a little wary of getting in over my head and blowing up my TiVo on the first try so I bought a used 2nd unit off eBay for parts and hoping the PSU in that one is good.

I've read through a lot of great feedback from you and others on replacing capacitors in the forum so I might experiment w/ that afterwards. You may be seeing some questions from me tackling that in the coming days! :cool:

8. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you need help, holler.