Series3 - Sluggish Menus/UI Still?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by insomniac99, Jul 24, 2007.

1. insomniac99

insomniac99 Member

Jul 24, 2007
    NYC

Advertisements

I'm looking at a Series3 to replace my Scientic Atlanta HD-DVR box (Explorer 8300HD) from Time Warner Cable. However, I've been reading in some reviews for this unit (and the new Tivo HD) that the responsiveness of the menus are pretty sluggish. Is this still true for the Series3 with the latest software updates?

To give you an idea of my tolerance for this, I found the Scientific Atlanta box to be a little sluggish but acceptable. I found DirecTV (can't remember what box exactly) to be too sluggish. I found the Motorola HD-DVR (again don't remember model number) to be way too sluggish.

I really value responsiveness and speed in the UI. Nothing's matched my old ReplayTV in this regard. Will I be disappointed with the Series3?

2. tim1724

tim1724 Active Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Temple City, CA

For the most part the TiVo is fine. It can be slow when you're adding new season passes or deleting shows, but for normal use (choosing something to watch, getting info, etc.) it's fine.

It's not nearly as bad as a Motorola box. (How could anything be that slow?)

3. 20TIL6

20TIL6 BaDoop BaDoop BaDoop

Sep 7, 2006
    Cypress, TX
    When I first got my S3 units, I thought they were a bit sluggish. But after all the updates so far, it's pretty snappy in my opinion. It has gotten faster since I first got it. I think this might be the case with the new HD unit as well.

4. hutchca

hutchca New Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Santa Rosa, CA
    For general UI response when hitting the tivo button or seletcing menus it's as quick as can be.
    Swivel search and wishlist response is also quite snappy.

I do recall it seming a little slugish when I first bought it about a week after release but not anymore.

5. insomniac99

insomniac99 Member

Jul 24, 2007
    NYC

Advertisements

Thanks all. I guess my biggest use would be the channel guide. Snappy through that as well?

6. horseradish

horseradish New Member

Jan 8, 2007
    I've discovered that my S3 has recently started to act very sluggishly now that I've started to use the TiVoCast feature (I have been a longtime viewer of DL.TV, and now that they have the TiVoCast option, I've been using it). Tonight is a good example: Cranky Geeks started to download (it was recorded yesterday, but it takes them a while to recode it and publish it for the TiVo), and now it takes 3-10 seconds to respond to any button press, even 'pause' while watching something from "Now Playing".

As much as I like the TiVoCast feature, I'm thinking of disabling it until they give me an update that doesn't crater the performance of the UI.

7. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I don't know about any of those other products you mention.

But comparing my S3 to my S1.

The S3 is a lot FASTER UI wise in most ways -- but it's way way more flickery.
    They make the Now Playing list come up much faster by showing you a BLANK screen initially then it fills in.. Same as when you delete something. Sometimes it's gone by the time the list redraws.. sometimes it shows up with an X and then disappears.

so it's a tradeoff between speed and "good UI". While I often go for the speed option (heck, I use a text-based email program, alpine, largely for speed reasons), in this case it makes the S3 look less polished.

(The "folder bug" is annoying too.)

8. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    Nope, I think that 8.3 made things pretty snappy. The channel guide isn't blazing, but it's perfectly usable. Although seriously, once you have some recordings set up and a fully populated "Now Playing" list, I think that you'll find yourself using the guide far less than you do now.