Series3 random lockup

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by static1701, Dec 13, 2011.

1. static1701

static1701 New Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Waterford MI

Advertisements

I have read all the other posts about lockups. I have run all the boot up tests on the drive and everything comes back fine. What happens is my series3 will be fine for days and then I will turn the tv on and the last picture will be frozen on the screen. I have to power cycle the tivo because the remote will not do anything. I was told buy the ebay seller that the problem was that it kept re-booting. I have an image file and a replacement drive ready, but when I got the unit I did not have any problems with re-boots. After running all the tests that say the drive is ok I am at a loss of what I need to look at next. I did not see any noticeably bad caps in the power supply. Any ideas?

Static

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Unless "all the tests" includes hooking the drive up to a PC and running the mfr's extended diagnostics, which take hours to complete, then you still could have a defective drive.

How about power supply problems? Look for (even slightly) bulging, or leakage-stained, capacitor cans and check the voltages going to the hard drive (12V and 5V).

3. static1701

static1701 New Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Waterford MI
    I pulled the drive and downloaded the WD data lifeguard tool. So far it has passed the first test. It is running the second one now. It was working fine again, but toady it locked up and would not come back.

The 2nd test finished and passed. So the drive is fine. I looked for bad caps and did not see any. The power supply is within specs when I tested it but I wonder if it just takes a long time before it acts up.

I read something about too strong of a signal can cause problems? Should I look into this. I do use a good outdoor antenna with a distribution amp. I don't have any problems with any of the other tv's or my other Tivo that is attached to the same antenna system.

Just looking for ideas.

thanks,

Static

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Are you talking original S3? (TCD648250)

Using cable cards?

Using a tuning adapter for SDV?

Connecting to internet wired or wirelessly?

5. static1701

static1701 New Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Waterford MI

Advertisements

It is a TCD652160
    I am not using cable or cable cards, I have an outside antenna connected to the antenna coax jack on the back.
    No tuning adapter
    My internet connected is wired

Looking at system info screen:
    Platfrom: Series3
    Software Version: 11.0k-01-2-652
    Program Source (1): Antenna
    Source Input (1): Coax Antenna In

The more I read about this the more it sounds like the power supply.

6. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Just for clarity: What you have is a TiVo HD. The term "Series 3" applies both to that model and to the earlier "S3" model, 648xxxxxx.

Did you do the "extended" WD Lifeguard test, which takes several hours usually? If the drive passed that, then the power supply is the most likely suspect. Unfortunately a new or reconditioned PS (weaknees.com) costs $100. You might be able to buy a (non-lifetime) model 652160 on eBay for less than that and swap in the PS.

If you have lifetime, perhaps the $100 is worth it. If not, you might want to consider a Premiere. There have been at least two places running OTA-only specials where your sub cost is only $10/mo. (Otherwise it's $20).

7. static1701

static1701 New Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Waterford MI
    I did the "extended test" took about 1:40 and it said Pass for the results.
    I put the drive back in and the unit has been working since last night.

This one does not have lifetime, I have a series2 that does. I called Tivo yesterday and they offered me lifetime on this Tivo HD or on another HD for $99 if I buy a Premiere (service will be $14.99) This sounds like a good deal to me so all I need to do is get this HD working or replace it if I can find a cheap one.

I like that $10 deal, too maybe that is the way to go.

Thanks guys,

Static

8. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The Premiere $10 per month if you only use antenna promotion is over and no longer available (ended mid-November, I think).

Is that the original Western Digital 160GB hard drive in that S3 HD?
    Probably a WD1600AVJS.

The Washington DC area Craigslist recently had some HDs offered in the $25 to $50 price range, and I've seen several at $50 on Craigslist sites around the country, so check your area for a parts machine.

If you have and know how to use a soldering iron, you can replace the most likely to have gone bad capacitors on your power supply for about $10.

9. static1701

static1701 New Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Waterford MI
    I can solder. I suppose I could just replace all the electrolytic caps. Is there a parts list or do I need to open it up and get the specs off each cap?

I have been keeping an eye on Criagslist. The drive is original. I was planning to make a backup of the drive. I learned my lesson when I had a drive die in my series2.

Static

10. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    See this thread

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=479176

for an excellent picture of how subtle the visual difference between a good cap and one gone bad can be.

Open up that HD (#10 Torx driver bit) and eyeball those caps.

Do you know how to look at the solder side of the board and tell if 2 caps are in parallel electrically?

'Cause if you've got one gone bad you should replace any in parallel with it as well.

What part of the country are you in?

11. static1701

static1701 New Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Waterford MI
    It locked up again today and I have it apart. None of the caps look like the caps in the picture. The power supply has 13 electrolytic caps. tivo pn spwr-00011-000 rev b0
    C402 and c407 are parallel as are c501 & c502
    I can go ahead and replace the caps, but they don't look bad. Any chance the main board is causing the problem? I am Michigan.

cap list:

c220 47 uf 50v
    c227 10 uf 25v
    c306 2.2 uf 50v
    c503 1000 uf 10v
    c403 1000 uf 10v
    c702 470 uf 16v
    c402 2200 uf 10v
    c407 2200 uf 10v
    c501 2200 uf 10v
    c502 2200 uf 10v
    c701 1000 uf 16v
    c504 2200 uf 10v
    c120 470 uf 200v

12. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

You mentioned earlier having an image and a replacement drive on hand.

Is the drive at least 160GB?

Where did you get the image.?

13. static1701

static1701 New Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Waterford MI
    I have a 320 gb drive and I have 2 image files from another member.
    Do you think the image on the drive has issues?
    I will start working on putting an image on that 320 and see what happens.

14. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I think maybe the original drive has (not yet narrowed down to hardware or software) issues, and it's worth replacing it temporarily to see what happens.

You can restore this image

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/49887720/652_gset.bak

with the MFS Live cd (a copy of which you really should have for lots of different reasons)

You can restore this image

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/49887720/652_gset.tbk

with the WinMFS program

Both WinMFS and the zip of the iso of the MFS Live cd are available at mfslive.org

15. static1701

static1701 New Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Waterford MI
    I imaged the drive with Series3HD160GB.tbk and booted it up before I saw your last reply. Will that image be ok, or should I re-do it with one of the ones you posted?

It is up to the "getting program info" part of the setup. so far so good.

Thank you again for all your help, I am really looking forward to getting this working.

Static

16. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    That file name is what was given to it by the person who did the backup.

They could have called it banana.tbk or tomstivo.tbk or chevelle.tbk

I don't know who made it or if it's good or not, although I have no reason to think it's not.

Try it and see.

Report back.

17. static1701

static1701 New Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Waterford MI
    The Tivo is up and running. I will have to wait and see if this solved the problem or not.
    Sometimes it will go for days with out a problem and other times it only takes hours.

Static

18. static1701

static1701 New Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Waterford MI
    It just re-booted while I was watching the news. I guess it is not fixed.

19. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you have the hardware to spare, you could try using a separate SATA data cable between the drive and the motherboard, and a computer power supply to provide the power for the drive, so that the TiVo's power supply only has to power the TiVo motherboard and front panel and anything plugged into the TiVo's USB ports.

If that seems to work, then that means the power supply can't handle all it's supposed to.

If it doesn't work, which is to say if it works for a while and then spontaneously reboots, then both the power supply and the motherboard are suspect.

But go ahead and try it with one of my images to be doubly sure there's no software problem.

20. static1701

static1701 New Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Waterford MI
    I re-imaged using your image. It is scanning channels now. I found a power supply from a computer and a sata cable. I am going to try with just the new image first before trying the power supply. Your image is different then the other one, the channel scan shows me what channel it is scanning...the other image just did it and reported that it was done. Hopefully this one solves the problem.