Series3 is terrible at suggestions

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by bdraw, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Jan 3, 2007 #1 of 19
    bdraw

bdraw Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Tampa, FL

Advertisements

When I first received by Series3 I was very disappointed that like the HR10-250 before it you couldn't tell it to only suggest HD shows. Unlike when I bought my HR10 I decided that this time I was going to give the suggestions feature a try and leave it on, if for no other reason then to see how much space I have left.

After 3 months I am very disappointed and it has yet to record ONE show I actually wanted to watch. It constantly records show on channels I NEVER watch, I have never watched TBS and it records shows from there almost all the time, same with Comedy Central. It also has yet to record one show from any channel I watch. One time it was recording a College Football game (which I like), the game was on ESPNHD and it was recording regular ESPN, once again totally useless.

Not only does the Series3 Suggestions lack HD specific features, but it plan ignores HD which is really ironic considering that is the entire point of the Series3.

2. Jan 3, 2007 #2 of 19
    supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    It does take a good amount of time for suggestions to get good. I look from time to time and actually find something interesting once in a while.

However, something here tells me that you are not really open to the idea of suggestions. Sounds like you see a suggestion recorded from a certain channel and throw it out just on the basis of what channel it was recorded from?

3. Jan 3, 2007 #3 of 19
    bdraw

bdraw Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    I guess I expected the TiVo to learn that EVERY show I gave a thumbs up was an HD show and on an HD channel. It obviously ignores the channels and format which is the source of my grief.

I love the idea of suggestions, but despise SDTV.

4. Jan 3, 2007 #4 of 19
    Leo_N

Leo_N Lucky 200 member

Nov 12, 2003
    Wisconsin, USA
    One thing you can do is to remove any duplicate channels, like ESPN and only leave the HD version. Same with TNT, the main HBO, Showtime, etc., this at least will bring up the odds of getting HD shows as suggestions. It does take a while for the Tivo to get good at picking stuff you like, but once it gets there, it's great. You just have to be diligent with using thumbs up/down.

5. Jan 3, 2007 #5 of 19
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale

Advertisements

then why don't you remove the non-HD channels from 'channels I [you] receive'?

6. Jan 3, 2007 #6 of 19
    wackymann

wackymann Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Boston Area
    Yep - you should do what i did and remove all the channels you NEVER watch. For me, this included shopping channels, religious channels, and all SD channels that have HD counterparts.

7. Jan 3, 2007 #7 of 19
    supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    +1. As an added advantage, this will also keep these channels out of the guide and out of the way.

8. Jan 4, 2007 #8 of 19
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    When your Tivo gets overzealous about suggesting genres that you don't like, a single Thumbs down will help point it in the right direction.

That's in addition to removing channels you never want anything on.

It's a two-sided equation, yes you're giving things a Thumbs up to say you like it, but it needs to flip side, the Thumbs down to say "I don't want it"

I find the suggestion logic in my S3 to be the same as my S2, and that means when trained, it does pretty good.

My example is pretty easy, I do NASCAR, but hate auto racing.. it takes time to train my Tivo properly, but by Nov it had gotten that right, no more F1.

Just like me watchiing Dr Who and The Avengers on BBCA, but not anything else.. after a while, it "gets it"

Diane

9. Jan 4, 2007 #9 of 19
    hookbill

hookbill Feathered Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio
    I have a SP for COPS on FOX first run only, but when I have suggestions on I have to give the SP a thumbs down, otherwise it goes crazy and records COPS like 25 times in one day.

The title on this thread really can apply to any TiVo not just the S3. As dianebrat says the key is training.

Personally, I keep mine off most of the time.

10. bobharp

bobharp Member

Jan 17, 2003
    My Series 1 thought I liked Baywatch! I have abandoned the Series 2 to childrens programming. The Series 3 seems to be on a Seinfeld kick.
    Give yours some thumb activity and it will learn.

11. msrolla

msrolla 3000

Feb 11, 2004
    One other thing I noticed is that S3 Suggestions are being selected under the old S2 logic, where it can record anything you give a "thumbs up". In a recent S2 software release (8.1?), an update was made where anything with one "thumbs up" will not be recorded, but will be used in determining your Suggestions.

I wonder if the 8.1 S3 upgrade will update how suggestions are chosen.

12. danitaz

danitaz New Member

Oct 15, 2005
    Well, here's an enhancement request suggestion - it would be nice if the TiVo could be set (through a user setting so people could choose) to either record suggestions from any channel in the "I receive" list, or only those in the "favorite channels" list - then you would have suggestions that made more sense for you without actually having to remove everything from the "I receive" list - this still gives you the three "guide" options (All, I Receive, Favorites), but narrows down what you want the suggestions to be to a select few channels, etc.

Just a thought :)

Danita

13. Jiffylush

Jiffylush New Member

Oct 31, 2006
    Mine is on a major Seinfeld kick too!

I personally would like it to know the difference in shows for little kids and shows for big kids. Just because we like Backyardigans doesn't mean we want Fairly Odd Parents, we just wanted quality shows that entertain & educate. Can't wait for the freakin kidzone.

14. jtown

jtown New Member

Sep 26, 2002
    My old S1 used to go on a "Telemundo" kick every once in a while. I'd give the shows thumbs-down, delete them, then remove the Spanish channels from the list (thought I got them all the first time but obviously not). It would behave for a while then find another Spanish channel and record a few shows.

I did a full reset this spring and it got pretty good after a few months. Picked lots of good movies (which was odd because I have no wishlists for movies or actors and never manually record them). Of course, it would occasionally pick a great movie but record it on a Spanish channel just to tease me.

Like others have said, remove the non-HD version of any HD channels and be sure to give a thumbs-down (or two or three) to stuff you don't like. Also go through the upcoming suggestions and rate them. The more input you give it, the faster it will learn.

15. Dr. Bear

Dr. Bear New Member

Dec 13, 2006
    Central...
    I did as suggested and removed the SD channels that have HD versions from my "channels you receive" list, so the only NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox and TNT channels that appear on my "channels you receive" guide are HD ones. And yet, TiVo recorded me a suggestion from SD TNT -- which theoretically doesn't exist. Why, TiVo? Why?

16. TexasAg

TexasAg New Member

Apr 2, 2006
    I found that it can sometimes take a while for the "To Do" list to be updated. I switched my season passes from cable HD to OTA HD, and it took days for the programs to start being recorded OTA.

17. bdraw

bdraw Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    I always use Favorites listing which only includes the HD channels, my wife likes to see all the channels so she often uses the "Received" listing, but she doesn't record any shows on the S3 she does all her recordings on the HR10-250.

This brings up another interesting observation that the S3 obviously ignores your favorite channels in regards to suggestions, I can understand it recording shows on my non-favorites since it may find something I like, I'm just surprised it doesn't ever suggest anything from my favorite channels.

18. Thursday

Thursday New Member

Nov 6, 2006
    Chicago
    I only want to echo what Diane and Bill have already said. The tivo can't get any smarter about what you like to watch it you dont tell it. I had this problem for a while after I got my S3 ( first tivo ever ).

S3 kept recording suggestions from the LOGO channel, which is all gay and lesbian, which, isn't exactly my taste. I thought it was funny at first, but after 5 or 6 shows being recorded I realised that I wasn't telling tivo that I didn't want it to record those shows, I was just deleting them, and since then I havn't gotten one LOGO show.

Lately, tivo has been outstanding when it comes to suggestions. I have tons of thumbs up and thumbs down on different shows I like and dont like. Tivo has been excellent on recording things that I really like. Shows like space, which I have gotten into since getting my S3, have been getting recorded, as well as various current events shows on channels like Discovery Times, PBS and so on.

I guess it all comes down to the fact that Tivo Suggestions will only be as good as you let it be. If you don't use your thumbs up and down buttons, tivo is just taking shots in the dark. But after you start to show it what you like, the suggestion feature starts hitting things right on the head.

-Thurs

19. joelkfla

joelkfla Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Orlando area
    How about if you trained her to use the "All" options on the Guide?