Series3 internal drive as an external Bolt drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by FerdieZane, Feb 1, 2017.

1. FerdieZane

FerdieZane New Member

Jul 8, 2007

Advertisements

I haven't seen any threads on this, so here goes...
    I have a Series3 with a drive that still works. We've upgraded to a new Bolt and deactivated the Series3. During the upgrade process we ran into the software bug that prevents you from transferring the Series3 shows into the Bolt.
    So, now we have a deactivated Series3 with a drive full of shows and no way to watch them on the Bolt. My question is --- can I remove the internal drive from the Series3, install it in an external drive case, and use it as an external drive for the Bolt WHILE keeping the existing shows on the old drive intact and being able to view them on the Bolt?

2. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    No, you will loose everything on the drive. At this point, I think your only choice is to just hook that S3 directly to the TV and watch those programs that way. I am not positive that is even an option without service, but I THINK it is.

3. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    The Bolt software has a pending update for your box to re-allow transfers from S3s.

Series3 can see Bolt, Bolt cannot see Series3

If you deactivated the box, you are probably out of luck as they will not allow it to be reactivated.

4. FerdieZane

FerdieZane New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Thank you both for your replies!

Yes, we can watch the shows on the deactivated box - that works but frankly is a bit of a PITA with switching cables so we'll probably just end up mothballing the unit. Before the Series3 was deactivated I had backed up some of the shows I really wanted to keep on my PC / Plex using kmttg. I didn't realize kmttg doesn't work once the box is deactivated and no longer has a MAK so now that option is gone too.

Frustrating that the update finally happened to enable the Series3 > Bolt transfers. I spent many hours on the phone with customer service and kept my one-month trial subscription active until two weeks ago - Customer service gave me no hope that the transfer bug would ever get fixed and I didn't want to pay a monthly subscription on top of the annual plan just on the off chance they would fix it. And yep, they won't reactivate a Series3.

In the long run it wouldn't have mattered - three nights ago my Bolt started throwing the dreaded all-four-lights-flashing error and I could hear the hard drive clicking. I had ONE day left on the Amazon return, so back it went. I would have lost all the transfers anyway. I hope the replacement fares better. I've been using TiVo for over ten years and never had a drive fail. I wonder if they are using the right drive for this application...

5. jrtroo

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland

Advertisements

Your new bolt should have the same MAK unless you put the bolt on a separate account.

6. FerdieZane

FerdieZane New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Yes, the new Bolt has the same MAK but the old Series3 lost its MAK when it was deactivated.

7. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Doesn't your TV or receiver have multiple inputs so you don't have to switch cables (just switch inputs)? I've still got 2 S3 OLED's and the Roamio connected to ours.

Scott

8. jrtroo

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Right, but with the same MAK you can transfer the shows you offloaded to the bolt.