Series3 and 9.3 SUGGESTIONS issue?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by WebG, Apr 26, 2008.

1. WebG

WebG New Member

Jan 30, 2005

Advertisements

So I've always had my S3 set to record TiVo suggestions. (Why? Because that's part of the fun of TiVo!)

So every day I'd come home and find anywhere from 10-30 shows waiting for me at the bottom of my "Now Playing" list. Some I would watch, most I wouldn't and just delete. Similarily, my TiVo Suggestions screen would often be 6+ pages long. The shows that TiVo suggested would be about 90% in line with what my show ratings would indicate that I might want to watch, so while I may not choose to watch those shows, they were certainly close to the right ballpark.

Since receiving the update, the Suggestions screen is maybe 2-3 screens long, and TiVo is only recording maybe 5 programs total during the day.

I called TiVo, but they said that the 9.3 update didn't touch how Suggestions were handled (they implied that I needed to use the thumbs to rate programs, as if this were my first TiVo rodeo). And no, it's not a space issue - got plenty of availability on the drive.

Has anybody else noticed issues with the number of Suggestions TiVo is throwing your way and then actually recording?

2. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Many software updates rebuild both the guide data (resulting in a slower box for 2-3 days) and the suggestion information. It may take a few days, or even a week, before see a comparable number of entries on the suggestions screen.

3. WebG

WebG New Member

Jan 30, 2005
    Thought about that too and I hope that's the issue, but it has been at least 7 days since I've had the update and things seem to not have changed. Any other thoughts?

4. Evilmonkee

Evilmonkee New Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Was going to post about this because my tivo isn't recording suggestions anymore either. In my case, I have recently(a day or two ago) repeated the guided setup in the hopes of solving a non-related channel lineup issue I'm having. That being the case with the guide data, should I expect suggestions to get back on track within the next week?

5. May 2, 2008 #5 of 38
    WebG

WebG New Member

Jan 30, 2005

Advertisements

A minor update -- it's been 2+ weeks since I got 9.3, which should be more than enough time for TiVo to finish whatever re-indexing it needs to do.

And the verdict is... TiVo still isn't recording all the items in the Suggestions list. Today for example, TiVo hadn't even changed the channel on one of the tuners to record some random thing from a different station. Trust me, when I'm used to seeing 20+ items waiting for me in the evening, I know that TiVo is changing channels at least once on both tuners.

So, for me, I'm equating this to the latest software as everything was fine before then. I've called it into TiVo, but they don't seem to think (a) it's a problem; or (b) that it's a problem from their end.

Bleh. I may be in the minority of TiVo owners who actually liked using the Suggestions feature, but I do miss having those random programs recorded. If this is the worst thing that I could complain about, then I guess I'm not doing so bad.

6. May 2, 2008 #6 of 38
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    It never records "all the items in the Suggestions list". Those are just things it thinks are suggestions.

It records the ones when there's free disk space and you're not actively using the Tivo.

7. May 2, 2008 #7 of 38
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Guided setup will definitely cause suggestions to slow down or to not record for a few days. It isn't uncommon for it to take longer than a week to get back to normal depending on how often you use the thumb ratings during that time.

8. May 3, 2008 #8 of 38
    AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001
    You sure you have enough free space? I'm betting you only have space for like 7 shows now, where you had space for 30 before.

Suggestions work like they always have.

9. May 4, 2008 #9 of 38
    WebG

WebG New Member

Jan 30, 2005
    Quite certain that I have enough free space, but I appreciate the thought. The majority of what I record is not HD, so I would hope that I'm not anywhere close to the 300+ standard hours of availability. Yes, when I have two or three HD movies stored, I do get fewer suggestions recorded... that doesn't seem to be the case.

As for the other commenter suggesting that I shouldn't expect to see all Suggestions recorded, that's true... but there is a big difference even on what's being displayed on the TiVo Suggestions screen between a few weeks ago and now, regardless of which programs TiVo decides to actually record or not.

10. doconeill

doconeill Unix Guru

Dec 13, 2002
    West of Boston
    I haven't done any quantitative analysis, but at least prior to 9.3, I personally thought that that my THDs were far to "aggressive" at wanting to record suggestions, to the point of being annoying, compared to my DirecTiVos.

I think it is a little less aggressive now.

11. joelkfla

joelkfla Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Orlando area
    It seems to me that my Series 3 is less likely to change channels now. The problem of trying to record a suggestion while I am watching live TV and the other tuner is busy, as well as the problem of using the second tuner for a recording that has the same start time as the current tuner's program's end time, seem to be fixed.

Maybe the algorithm to decide whether a user may be watching live TV has been loosened up, which could cause less suggestions to be recorded.

12. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I also have noticed I am not getting as many suggestions being recorded with 9.3, and yes I have plently of space on the HD.

13. WebG

WebG New Member

Jan 30, 2005
    You're right - "less aggressive" may be a better term. I can't imagine that 9.3 would have toggled back the Suggestion recording frequency (how is TiVo to know whether you're actively watching the program tuned in or not during the day? Same way it does it while you're watching live).

I rebooted TiVo over the weekend. Still doing the same (or lack thereof) thing. Bleh. I can't imagine it's because TiVo can't find *anything* worth watching for me... I've got a years worth of Thumbs ratings in there, and the suggestions were pretty much spot on up to this point.

14. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Actually I haven't had any Tivo suggestions in a few weeks. What is up with that? I have been thumbs upping all kinds of shows and still nothing is being recorded.

15. doconeill

doconeill Unix Guru

Dec 13, 2002
    West of Boston
    Have you checked to see if the recording of suggestions may have been disabled somehow?

If you haven't recently, you may want to try a reboot. That might get it to reindex the guide information.

16. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I checked and rechecked everything. It just recorded 2 shows just after my last post, but hasn't recorded anything since.

17. doconeill

doconeill Unix Guru

Dec 13, 2002
    West of Boston
    If you look under Find Programs/Suggestions, are you seeing programs listed?

I just took a closer look at my main unit. I seem to be getting from 1-6 suggestions recorded a day. This seems a bit low, but a lot closer to what I got with my DirecTiVo units than wht I had pre-9.3, where I could have a dozen or more a day.

Again, this is subjective, but I'm noticing that the TiVo is asking less often (if at all) if it can change the ACTIVE tuner to record a suggestion, which it should never do. I think this may have been part of the "assigned tuner" issue, where a recording was assigned to a particular tuner beforehand, regardless if that tuner was active and the other idle.

I'm not sure if its still asking about the non-active tuner, if it was used recently.

It also no longer complains when I try to change the channel while a suggestion is recording - it used to give the "are you sure?" message, even if it was only a suggestion.

18. bobfrank

bobfrank Active Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Last week my wife pointed out to me that our S2DT in the bedroom hadn't recorded a suggestion for just over a month. I checked to see if suggestions had been turned off accidentally somehow, but it hadn't. I checked Programs/Suggestions and there was nothing there except instructions to use the thumbs up to have TIVO record suggestions.

I turned suggestions off and then back on. Still nothing.

I finally turned suggestions off and rebooted. Then I turned suggestions on and rebooted again. Then I added some more thumbs up to a few programs.

By the next day we had plenty of new suggestions recorded and listed in Programs/Suggestions.

All the steps might not have been needed, but that's what worked for me.

19. WebG

WebG New Member

Jan 30, 2005
    I've turned suggestions on/off, but hadn't tried rebooting during that process. If that works as a solution, then I will know within a day or two.

Can't do it tonight -- too much stuff on between now and midnight.

20. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I still have no suggestions being recorded. Tonight I will try rebooting and see if that corrects things.