series2

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by sammae, Oct 3, 2007.

1. sammae

sammae New Member

Dec 30, 2003
    MO
    Ok Guys, Big Lots is selling series2 while they last($69)! So My question is, Can you put series 1 software on a series 2 receiver? I just need to use the manuel record! Thanks Sammae :confused:

2. BTUx9

BTUx9 back?

Nov 13, 2003
    Rockport, MA
    Not a chance... very different hardware.
    Unfortunately, this question also falls under the heading "theft of service", so can't be discussed here (series 2 tivos are sold to ONLY be used with an active subscription)

3. sammae

sammae New Member

Dec 30, 2003
    MO
    Sorry I did not know that using something that you 'OWN' is against the law. Sammae

4. BTUx9

BTUx9 back?

Nov 13, 2003
    Rockport, MA
    surely, you're not THAT naive

5. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    While you may "technically" own the hardware, certain features and functions are tied to a paid service. If you have to manually record with a sub, you don't want to purchase a heavily subsidized DVR. You didn't think there wasn't a catch to the $69 price, did you?

6. sammae

sammae New Member

Dec 30, 2003
    MO
    I know BigLots! To cheep to pay more. sammae

7. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Well then, but a non-service DVR from them. Yes, you will pay a premium for it, compared to a service-required TiVo.

8. richjh

richjh New Member

Mar 20, 2005
    :eek: I just bought a DT Series 2. Can I just switch the drive from my regular Series 2? I want to keep the programs that I have on it.
    Rich

9. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    NO!!!

The recordings are encoded to the TiVo. The only two ways are TiVo1 --> PC --> TiVo2 with TiVo DeskTop or TiVO1 --> TiVo2 with Multi Room Viewing