Series2 lockup

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by MidrangeMan, Jul 21, 2005.

1. MidrangeMan

MidrangeMan New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Chicago, IL

Advertisements

My (Comcast) Series2 Tivo locks up periodically.

It's running 7.1b-01-2-130 software.

Yesterday I pulled the hard drive (Maxtor 160gb 5400rpm, I forget the exact model) and ran Maxblast diagnostics for 8 hours without a single defect found.

My wife and I have noticed that the Tivo's case is pretty hot to the touch, but the sysinfo display shows 50C as the internal temp.

Any suggestions on what might be causing this?

Thanks!

mm

2. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    It would probably help if you were more specific than "locks up." I may have an idea of what you mean, but it's likely different than the next guys and both could be completely different than what your problem is.

3. MidrangeMan

MidrangeMan New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Sorry, didn't realize there were that many ways to describe a lockup.

The system freezes and doesn't respond to any inputs (from remote or front panel).

Only way to get the system running again is to cycle power.

mm

4. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    During playback? watching live TV? in the menu system? all?

5. owenus

owenus New Member

Jul 20, 2005

Advertisements

I have a Toshiba SD-H400 and Tivo basic (Series 2). In the past week or so my Tivo has been "locking up" every night while I'm asleep. The television is off, the Tivo has been on standby one night and "on" another night, so that is apparently not a factor. In the morning all buttons are non-responsive, neither the remote nor the buttons on the face of the unit work. I have to unplug the unit and plug it back in every day to have it work.

6. MidrangeMan

MidrangeMan New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Well, as of about an hour ago I would have said it didn't seem to mater what it was doing... but now I think I've identified the pattern.

It SEEMS to lock up when it's recording. It doesn't seem to mater if it's recording in standby, while we're watching live, or while we're watching a previously recorded show (and it's recording something else).

It started happening a few months ago ... and then it would lock up every few weeks. Now it seems to happen every few days.

mm

7. RabidRoadKill

RabidRoadKill New Member

Jul 23, 2005
    SE...
    Strange...just this afternoon I posted the same problem:

showthread.php?t=250937 (yup I'm still a noob so I can't post a proper URL yet)

also on my SD-H400. The unit has become non responsive. 3 times in 4 days.

In response to MM mine doesn't appear to have locked up while 'recording' as I haven't missed anything yet. Though the unit is, of course, always recording.

Has anyone tried to connect through the TiVo desktop or HMO while it is unresponsive? I'm waiting on the next lockup to test this out...

-Rabid

8. RabidRoadKill

RabidRoadKill New Member

Jul 23, 2005
    SE...
    Just to clarify my meaning. By locked up I mean the unit is totally unresponsive to the front panel buttons and to remote control inputs. Unplugging power and restarting restores normal operation. This has happened twice while the unit is in standby mode and once while pausing Live TV.

9. MidrangeMan

MidrangeMan New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Well, the pattern was just broken ... the doggone thing just locked up durring playback, nothing was recording.

Very frustrating.

mm

10. RabidRoadKill

RabidRoadKill New Member

Jul 23, 2005
    SE...
    It happened again this morning. :mad: It appears to have occured (judging from the channel the cable box was on, recording history and scheduled recording that were missed) when trying to record something after recording a suggestion. I've turned off suggestion recording to see if that has any impact.

I also verified that the unit was unresponsive from the network side as well.

Continuing to monitor the situation...

-Rabid

11. MidrangeMan

MidrangeMan New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    The problem seemed to go away for a while ... but it's back in full force.

Now it doesn't seem to be able to go more than 24 hours without locking up.

It can lock up while the system is idle, recording, playing back, or just sitting on a menu.

I HAVE observed it lock up a few times while it was processing downloaded schedule data.

The odd thing is ... the system doesn't lock up entirely ... as some of the gui animation's keep going. But no amount of remote button, or front panel button, pushing is able to get the unit to respond.

Since I observed it locking up during a data download, I thought maybe something in the schedule information was screwed up so I went through a full reset & delete of all data.

Sadly, this didn't help ... as while it was downloading the basic data, it locked up again.

I went through the basic setup AGAIN and it worked this time.

Since it only had a few days of schedule data loaded, I left it to finish processing ... this evening I checked it ... and, you guessed it, it was locked up. After restarting it AGAIN, I checked the schedule information and it didn't have any more information than it had when I left it last night, so I figure it locked up very soon after I left it to run.

It's a Comcast Series2 with an upgraded Maxtor 160gb hard drive (5400 rpm). It's running version 7.2.1-oth-01-2-130 of the software.

This is SUPER frustrating ... I'm getting really close to dumping the Tivo and going to a DVR that isn't proprietary.

12. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I am surprised that no one has said a word about what you said your TiVo's temp was. At 50C I would say the reason it's locking up is because it's running way to hot. You need to check your fan to see if it is still running. If the TiVo is hidden someplace with no ventilation try moving it. My TiVo is normally in the mid 30s and only got to the low 40's once when the room was over 90F.

Hopefully you haven't fried your unit yet but I am betting you are getting close.

Good Luck,

atmuscarella

13. MidrangeMan

MidrangeMan New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    I finally gave up and called Tivo about it ... since the unit was out of warranty, it cost $146 to replace it.

New unit works fine ... I'll probably put the 160gb drive in sometime soon.