Series2 in Beirut

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by shosterman, Jun 23, 2011.

1. shosterman

shosterman New Member

Oct 13, 2005
    Hello all,

I posted this previously on another site, but wanted to clarify it a bit more.

My father in law lives in Beirut and when he was in the States visiting he really liked our TiVo. Well, I have an old Series 2 in the basement and I was thinking about giving him that to use when I visit Lebanon. Problem is, he does not have an Internet connection and I don't know how the monthly service would check-in. If I purchase a lifetime before I send it there, does it still need to "check-in"?

Anyway, I think he really only wants to be able to pause and rewind live TV. There really isn't a guide so scheduling recordings wouldn't be necessary (which I understand you can't do that without a subscription anyway). Does "scheduled recordings" also include pushing Record on the show he's currently watching?

In this situation, would he be able to enjoy the Series 2? Can anyone recommend another simple DVR device I can give him?

Thank you.

2. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    If it has a lifetime subscription, I think it is fine to use it only for manual recording. I don't think a lifetime S2 requires a call for anything but the guide data. If it is not subbed, then you should be able to pick up an early model Series I TiVo. They can be used for manual recording even if they are un-subbed.

3. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    There's also the video format and AC voltage to contend with. According to one site I found, Lebanon uses 110/190VAC, 50Hz. The power may work ok with the TiVo. But Lebanon also uses B/SECAM, which the TiVo will not like.

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Get a DVR that is available for sale in the Lebanese market, that is the only generic advice I can give.

If he receives TV from a digital provider, getting their DVR, if they have one, is easiest.

If he receives TV from digital antenna or digital FTA satellite, then the options are a little more varied.

5. shosterman

shosterman New Member

Oct 13, 2005
    Concerning the voltage and everything, that's pretty standard. We usually take them electronics from here all the time and if it's not already 110-220 there are several shops that can convert it for a price or just use a converter.

The other thing about the SECAM I'm not sure about. I was thinking Lebanon was PAL and I have to confirm that with my brother in law when he gets on Skype. Also, I don't think any of the cable providers give you a DVR, but again, another thing to ask him as I've mentioned them before while there and it's not well known.

I found a few series 1 on ebay for less than $50, but I guess the easiest thing would be to just take it over there and test it. It looks like I might be going in July.

6. shosterman

shosterman New Member

Oct 13, 2005
    Ok update. I am in Lebanon now and Turkish Airlines left our bags in Istanbul, so two days until we get them they say.

Anyway, what else do I realize, I forgot the darn TiVo remote! According to the Tivo support site, it looks like Universal remotes manufactures decide whether they support TiVo or not, so hopefully I can find one to at least be able to test the TiVo out with.

-Sigh-

7. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    American Series 1s can be hacked to accept a PAL video signal, and maybe use some PAL tuner units.

Of course, with the UK TiVo service being discontinued, you might be able to get one of those pretty reasonable.

As for remotes, One For All brand remotes can be programmed with JP1.x, if you are into that sort of thing.